Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

LG L21G Destiny phone started out fine, suddenly have no

Customer Question

LG L21G Destiny phone started out fine, suddenly have no sound on anything but calls
Category: Android Devices
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I activate the volume control button on the back, the display shows volume turned all the way up, but underneath that says Do not disturb. Then below that appears "silent" "priority" and "off". Silent and Priority are grayed out. Off is bold but does nothing when I select it.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help!

This sounds like it might be hardware failure, as the loud speaker is different from the in call speaker. When you're in a call, can you turn speaker mode on? Does that work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does. I did try that.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

The loud speaker should be functional then. Have you tried restoring to factory settings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that too.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

What about with headphones? Work then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've not tried that. Let me see if I can locate a set. May take a few minutes. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm listening to the FM radio right now.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Next thing to try is download soundabout app, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woodslink.android.wiredheadphoneroutingfix&hl=en

Under Media Audio select Speakers, see if that works. If it does, the phone may think that headphones are plugged in when they aren't. Grab a blow dryer and turn it on low then aim it at the headphone jack about 6 inches away from the phone for 15 seconds. Make a test and you should have your sound back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I do that, although I'm listening to the radio, it won't play a ringtone
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Certain apps have sound but others don't? Or all apps do, just no sounds from the operating system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With earbuds plugged in, yes. Without them plugged in, only sound on calls.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Try soundabout next and see what happens

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I go to settings and select sound, the volume section is grayed out. Can't select it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Will be back.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like it thinks it's in Vibrate mode. In android when you're in vibrate it grays out volume controls for media

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The free one okay? or get the pro...
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

free, just testing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work and received error com.google.android.music has stopped
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Hmm...ok. I'm out of ideas. Let's see if someone else can help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just fixed it myself! In settings, there was a "turn all sound off" button. I selected in and then deselected it. Voila! I have sound. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

For the com.google.android.music process to have stopped, there may be an Android OS system problem on your phone.

If so, then it could be owing to the Stagefright exploit. Here's some info about that possibility:

If the Android OS version on the device is not sufficiently updated, then it may contain a significant 'security hole' that allows almost anyone to gain access and control over your phone.

To test as to that security hole, download and use this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zimperium.stagefrightdetector

to tell whether there is such a security hole in your phone's Android operating system.

To avoid the problem in the first place, not just using the Stagefright detector, but also completely updating your Android OS ab initio when you first start using it, is a good idea.

(Some older versions of Android OS cannot be patched, by merely updating that version... but a higher version, if it can run on the older Android OS -compatible phone, can cure that problem.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
04 November 2015 02:12
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Having to select it and de-select it, signifies that something was wrong in the software. And if the Stagefright Android exploit is possible on your phone and caused it, your phone would be being hacked into and further problems may be expected... or, might already be present. So I advise checking on Stagefright, just in case and to be safe, at your convenience.

Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com, and good luck.