ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

I have a Samsung 10.0 tablet and the screen froze last night

Customer Question

I have a Samsung 10.0 tablet and the screen froze last night trying to download a live wallpaper? any suggestions on how to unfreeze . I can turn it on and off but stays on same place
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Try pressing and holding the power button for 20 seconds.

This will force the tablet to shut down the software.

Then power it on and try again.

Let me know if it now operates normally again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that already :( prior to talking to you all It does power off ( or should I say the screen goes black but when I hit the power button and hold it when it comes back on I am on the same screen when It froze in the first place ... it is a touch screen tablet ... can't touch anything and make it move :( thank you for trying thou
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

If pressing and holding the power button did not force the tablet to restart and unfreeze, then the power button may not be working correctly, or it needs to be held in for longer.

If it still doesn't work, then the next step would be to try a hard reset:

Press the Power and the Volume Up button together till the device displays the start-up logo.

Let me know if that gets you into Recovery mode...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that , Unfortually it still is on the initial sceen that my ipad froze on. the ipad allows me to turn off ( I think.. it goes black ) I am draining the power and seeing if that reboots it thank you for trying :)
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let me know if the power drain works, however if the hard reset does not work either then it is likely a faulty power button that is causing the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Power button is turning the device on and off :) however when ipad is turned turned on again it returns to the same screen that it originally froze on... no keys ,arrows , etc work on screen... I did drain the power and then recharged the device :(
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

If pressed and held the power button should reset the software.

What exactly is the screen showing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the time this happen I was in settings trying to change my live wallpaper from Halloween to something Thanksgiving related... I found my app that I had down loaded last year ( and used ) and began to set the new wallpaper... the screen that is frozen on is the app page or list that is in my settings.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Could you attach a photo so I may see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do that :) thank you for all your help... I will send it later tonight when I get home
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Ok!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here you go :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not rec'd an answer ? computer is asking me to rate and I am still unable to use tablet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pete I have not rec'd an answer on my end .. still unable to use tablet
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the photo.

This is showing that the tablet is still running and hasn't been reset yet.

Ensure that the Samsung tablet is powered off.
Once the logo is displayed, release the buttons and wait till the device enters the Android system recovery mode.
On the displayed screen, use Volume Down button to go to the wipe data/factory reset option (Volume Up and Volume Down buttons are used to highlight the displayed options on the Android system recovery screen).
Once the option is highlighted, press the Power button to select the option. (Pressing the Power button in Android system recovery mode selects the highlighted option.)

Let me know if that works...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete, I have tried your suggestion , when I tried recovery mode option when my tablet came back on I had horizontal lines maybe every 1/8 " running down my tablet all away across
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Ok so is there some improvement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if that is improvement lol.... before hand very clear pic like the one I sent you but not able to move any keys . when shut down and tried to open each time it would come back to same page. this time after I tried your reset recovery mode option all these colored lines appeared ... one can not make any sense if it's the display screen or anthor screen --- don't know how old you are -- but it reminds me of the orginial exorcist movie when the little girl is looking into the t.v. screen and all that is on their is lines... except mine are in color lol sorry only reference I could think of
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am familiar with the Exorcist movies!

Try pressing and holding the power button for 20 seconds once more to carry out a further reset.

If there is no improvement then the tablet likely has a hardware fault with the display, possibly the display cable inside the tablet has come loose and needs to be re-attached.

You can either return it to Samsung or take it to a local electronics repair shop to have it fixed.