Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Android Expert.
23511658

I want to learn to program Android apps. Particularly apps

Customer Question

I want to learn to program Android apps. Particularly apps for Android set top boxes. Where should I start to learn how?
Category: Android Devices
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) What programming languages should I start with to learn coming with ZERO experience?
2) How long should it take the average Joe to have a basic understanding of creating an app?
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

The first thing I would do is download the android development kit with android studio. Android studio actually has many tutorials in it that will get you up and going. It is also an intuitive development environment, especially for a beginner. To start creating a basic Should only take a matter of days for someone to learn. But there's a lot to learn when it comes to developing more complex apps. To have a thorough understanding of the development environment will probably take at least a couple of years. But you could be developing basic apps within a couple of weeks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I take courses on Java and XML first?

I don't see a need for that. It's a personal preference. If you think you need that additional training, then sure. I became a developer with no formal training whatsoever. For someone who is passionate about it, I think that's the best way to learn.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about developing apps for Android set top TV boxes? As you can see here --> http://images.indianexpress.com/2014/11/vuandroidtv.jpg the set top boxes are way bigger that a mobile device http://crackberry.com/sites/crackberry.com/files/styles/w795/public/article_images/2013/11/Snap_APK_Downloader.jpg?itok=ak1hCTQn ...Is it possible to test an app on an emulator as if it were being tested on a android set top box and not a android smart phone?

Yes, it is. But you still need to start with basic android development. The questions you are asking are things that will become clear to you as you learn.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Are there any good tutorials on YouTube you might recommend studying?

Not on YouTube, no. I would go through the tutorials in the Android Development Kit.

I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service using the OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT rating icons.