JKalman
JKalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I was wondering if you can help me out I have a samsung

Customer Question

hello I was wondering if you can help me out I have a samsung galaxy note 3 the SM n900v and I was on Verizon of course but it was unlocked I bought it brand new unlocked I got a SIM card from T Mobile just the other day I went into the APN settings and put the two or three things in that they told me to put in it set itself up but the moment I hit 4G the radio turns off and I get that circle with a line through it it will only work on GSM or the other one and at best I get two g's can you help me fix this?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me the settings you used for T-Mobile please?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'm gonna c about sending u a snapshot of my panel if u can u can call me at(###) ###-####that would be great...I had been doing a lot of research last couple days since I just paid for the month of service with to Ile and everything is pointing to rooting it so I can enable the hidden menu then go into the menu and put the lte channel on band 4f...when I first got this it wouldn't take the lte neither on Verizon so I left it on global and it got its lte just fine now it only shows a "e:" maybe once and a while I'll get a "g" please help I can't get anywhere I already spent way too many hours! If I gotta root it that's fine if u can show me software that actually works!! Like I said tho feel free to call thanx
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, I do not see all the APN settings, but the settings you need to use are listed here

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2090

Enter these in, save it and restart the phone and tell me if it now connects at a high speed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My connection is so slow it's not wanting to open that link!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It timesnout!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

open it on your computer then

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It times out I can't seem to open the link it's running way too slow!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

on your computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK did it rebooted and it was worse! Had to switch it back! It seems the lte is disabled or something so I tried b it on global mode wich is what the phone defaults to but the e wouldn't even light up
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I need to see all the settings you entered on phone please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These don't work
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

can you change APN roaming protocol to IP6

Turn off Bluetooth and restart the phone please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'm back and it's still the same..did u want me to switch it off of global and on to lte? Or umts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in the one called bearer there is something for lte in there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's too bad I can't put any codes in the dialer cuz I have a code sheet that has all kinds of codes some of them for bands,lte and dun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what I get if I try to turn on Hotspot or Bluetooth tethering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These might help you look up stuff on this thing it is brand new got it a moth ago
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If you did the settings as I gave, it should no connect. So either T-Mobile have put a limit on your account, you do not have LTE in your area, or your fimrware is the issue.

Can you contact T-Mobile 1-***-***-**** and question the first 2

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well this is what they tell me...they say there r 3 towers in my area..1 is a half mile away that is only a 2g tower and won't be upgrades till Dec possibly....the other 2 are about a mile and a half away and they are lte towers but my phone has taken a preference to the closer one....now I know that is b.s cuz I have it the past been walked thru settings changes to take on a different tower if that's the case! So I started digging online and check this out
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If they are saying your connecting to the 2G tower, this this is the cause. You now have the correct settings from me, so its not the phone saying this.

And if they are actually seeing your phone is connecting to the 2G tower, then this is why your only getting a 2G network. You cannot tell the phone to ignore an actual tower

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well so I got into the car and drove around a bit went into Columbus where there are plenty of lte towers and best I get is h+! Still no 4G and if I try to switch from global to lte it knocks the radio out completely
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

which is why I asked you before, to contact them and see if there is a block on your account.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
account is brand new and went on for hors with them till they said they were writing a service ticket on it and turning it over to engineering dept and that I would hear from them they still haven't called and check these out o and b here
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, let me know when you have as we need to confirm this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O an d here's another symptom..all this time It was showing "e" I simply went to my dialer and had it dial a number and hang up now when I do that it show it at "g" now and b it will stay there on g till I mess up the apn or whatever but till I make it try to dial something n it stays on e after it switches and stays on g
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, please let me know when you have confirmed the answer to my remaining question.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the digging online for the past two days has lead me to a bunch of people who have the same problem and they said they needed to enable the hidden menu option so the dial pad would accept the *#*# ***** and then go into one of the control panels and enable band 4 then that fixed the problem can we try that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No block
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I have decided to opt out of working with you further on this.

You do not need to do anything, once another expert takes over you will be notified.

Thanks and all the best.

Expert:  JKalman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I have reviewed the transcript of your session with the previous expert. I can help you root your phone, so that you can use the keyboard to change bands, as your research has suggested.

Since the Verizon cellular network is CDMA and T-Mobile is GSM, i was skeptical about your chances for success, as the two networks us different technologies which are incompatible. However, I have found that your Samsung Galaxy Note III N900V does have dual network capability. Primary is GSM, and secondary is CDMA.

When you are ready we can proceed to root your phone. However, I have not done this before, and I cannot be responsible, if it does not work and your phone becomes inoperable. Please let me know if you want to continue...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hallelujah please please help me! This has been the hardest nut for me to Crack u have no idea!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't wait and I'm not worried about the phone cuz it couldn't be in worse shape I'm only getting at best 2gs and this phone is capable of so much more and also since no matter what happens there is always a reversal or a unbricking method so there is a fix and I'm ready to Crack this thing wide open...all my other phones I managed to do it with kingo
root but not this one the build on this is the vvrueof1 running 5.0 and I don't care about tripping the knox if nessecary I fix my own phones when they break so I am allll the warranty I need!
Expert:  JKalman replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. Please standby..

Expert:  JKalman replied 1 year ago.

I am going to be using software from the following website to root a Galaxy Note 3 v900 running Android v5.0 Lollypop

http://www.android.gs/root-galaxy-note-3-n900-on-android-5-0-lollipop-using-odin/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it took me so long to get back with you I was napping so how's it going? Any luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K I'm trying the same any helpful suggestions
Expert:  JKalman replied 1 year ago.

Don't get distracted or confused by all the download buttons in the article that I sent you. Most have nothing to do with rooting your phone and are various software applications that they are trying to sell you. I did find a good one called ReImage, that I am using to tune-up and repair my Windows 8.1 operating system.

Now, I am studying the text of the procedure for rooting your Galaxy Note 3 smartphone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I wrote u last I have been going round and round can't get anywhere I done moved everything off of the phone I downloaded and installed Odon and superuser and downloaded the cf root zip file that I can't seem to get a good copy of since I downloaded it 3 ti ws and win zip says it's no good do u think you can grab me the rom file and recovery file n I need? Also do u think putting a stock tmobile rom on here would work good or brick? Also if we can't get this to work I have a stratosphere 2 a i405 and I already rooted it and have tried my chip on it and it acts the exact same way as my note does so I believe it will work also so if this can't get rooted or we can't get anywhere can u help me set the other one up? It accepts dial pad codes and is ready
Expert:  JKalman replied 1 year ago.

I cannot really help you very much with the process, because, since I am not going through the process myself, I cannot understand the instructions.

For one thing, tutorial says to use Kies to flash the ROM, but it doesn't mention it again when it discusses the SuperSU and CF-Auto-Root zip files. And Odin 3.09 says that it will not work with .zip extensions. It says to look for a .tar version of the .zip files. Finding them will be a real problem. That is probably the source of your problem with the zip files.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about enabling the band 4 on my sch-i405 it's already rooted and the hidden menus are enabled
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a i415
Expert:  JKalman replied 1 year ago.

I am going to opt out of this question, since I do not have direct experience with rooting smartphones.