Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Android Expert.
23511658

I cant get my kindle fire to connect with metro pcs

Customer Question

I cant get my kindle fire to connect with metro pcs smartphone hot spot. It keeps saying authentication problem
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

This means that the Wi-Fi password ***** there is one, is not correct. To fix this problem, please go to your settings, then go to Wi-Fi, and then select the hotspot and select forget. Then, go back to wireless settings, tap on the hotspot network, and then enter the Wi-Fi password ***** connect. Once you do that you should be connected properly and you should not receive the error message. Please a me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying to do this on my phone or the kindle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i changed password ***** the hotspot-phone.went back to kindle wi fi pressed it and did forget like you said.i pressed it again WiFi. And put in the new correct passcode. Still did not work.authentication problem shows up in red on the kindle.its the right password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son is using his phone by same company-metro pcs for his lap top. Its working just fine.so i tried to use his hot spot and with his passcode and same thing happened. Kindle wont connect and states authentication problem in red. Somehow the kindle wont accept either of metro pcs hotspot what do i do now?My brother sent me the kindle fire for a bd gift.I know it works cuz the first night i had it out at a resteraunt it worked and my son used it once with a temporary comcast cable pass.its brand new but i cant use it if i cant get it to work with hot spot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to use the hot spot with my phone because i dont have internet at home.just the 2 smartphones from metro pcs. Thank you and i hope you can help me fix this

Make sure you have hotspot enabled on your PCS account. It is required for it to work - it has to be enabled on the account.

The next thing I would do is a complete reset of the kindle. To do that, press and hold the power for a full 20 seconds. When it completes, it will go through the setup again and during that setup, you'll connect to the wifi network again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try this yesterday. Re booted kindle.still did not work. Did not work with either of my 2 smartphones hotspot.me or my sons.he is using his hot spot for his lap top so i know it works but would not work on kindle. I could call metro pcs if you think that would help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After researching the internet it seems like it must be incompatibility with cell phone hot spot and kindle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like a refund since nothing you suggested worked

That would be extremely unusual. What is the model number of your phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Leon smartphone from metro pcs. Somehow kindles cant latch on to cell phone hotspots from what i read today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its something technical but the output from wifi hotspots at MacDonalds or starbucks is different output than cellphone.im sure you would know the technical terms.

Kindles can definitely connect to mobile hotspots. As I said, however, you must have mobile hotspot service specifically enabled on your account. Did you check with metro pcs to see if mobile hotspot is enabled on your account?

You can see that mobile hotspot with Metro PCS is an add-on service that they offer for $5 per month. It is not part of your service by default - it must be added.

http://bitli.es/HUiqW6

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Metro pcs offers it free now starting June 12 2015 with the 60 dollar plan which is the plan i have. Its 6 gigs high speed free. then slows down but still free.I have 2 phones. One for me and one for my son. He is using his hotspot for his lap top and it is working.I tried to use his hot spot to trouble shoot to see if problem was with phone or kindle.it wouldnt work with either phone hotspot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really do wish u could help me bit i think this is a lost cause!

Have you checked with Metro PCS to be certain it is provisioned on that phone?

I understand what you are saying, but as I mentioned, there is no technical reason why the Kindle would not connect to a mobile hotspot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i called metro pcs and she did verify that i have free hotspot with 60 dollar plan and is enabled.like she pointed out same thing i did.
my son can use his cellphone hotspot for laptop ( and he has 2 laptops. One for home and one for school and they both work )but if my kindle cant recieve from either phone,them the problem is with the kindle not recieving-not the phone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked on android central forum-this is a post from nee06. Kindle can connect to infrastructure modes like home router,MiFi,McDs etc. But will NOT connect to smartphone tether app
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this truly is the problem i am screwed( unless you are the geek that can help me)

That is correct, but tethering is not the same as a mobile hotspot. Tethering refers to accessing the internet through a mobile device using a USB cable. What you have on your phone is the equivalent of MiFi.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing that you told me worked to fix the problem and i want a refund please.

You're welcome.

I am not in the billing department. I do not have access to your account or your personal information. I am only a technical resource, sharing my personal time with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so how do i get a refund?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trying but i really needed someone to help me fix a problem

That is what my suggestions were intended to do. You can contact justanswer using the contact us link on the bottom of the page.