Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Android Expert.
23511658

I want to migrate my apps and App Data (Eg, Shazam with

Customer Question

Hello, I want to migrate my apps and App Data (Eg, Shazam with Shazam'ed songs) from a Samsung Galaxy S3 (4.x) to an LG G4 (v5.1). Neither are rooted. I wanted to use Helium, but my Samsung apparently has a Desktop Backup Password (which stops Helium working for a backup then restore). Samsung, Google and Rogers are of no use... What can I do.
Category: Android Devices
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not recall ever setting the password ***** none of the typical passwords that I have tried allows me to clear the password required by the apps.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

One way you can backup a Samsung Galaxy S3 is with the Samsung Kies software which is downloadable from their site. I'm not sure though if that will provide you what you need when you are done migrating. What password ***** are you being asked for.? That asking for a password ***** addition to what you have set up? Also, are you certain that you need to back up that data and that it will not resynchronize have to set up the phone with your Google account? Most the data does but I cannot tell you whether that one does or not because I do not know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. The "Desktop Backup Password" is found in "Developer options" on my stock S3. I understand KIES is useful only when moving to another Samsung product (not an LG). I do not sync with Google (other than only my gmail). My contacts and calendar are no the on Gmail. I did look and many of my apps are not synced via Google Play either. The app called Helium is supposed to do exactly as I need (all apps and app data) . The problem is the "Desktop Backup Password" needs to be blank for it to work. Someone did suggest I try rooting the phone to clear this so am looking into this now. Any thoughts as to other alternatives Michael. Thanks

Rooting this device is very easy, so that may be the path of least resistance.

You can root it by either flashing TWRP Recovery in ADB from your computer, then going into recovery - when you exit, it will install root. Or, you can use chainfire's autoroot. Just search for XDA chainfire autoroot (android devs are funny about other devs linking directly to their work, which is why I'm asking that you search). All the instructions are with that in the XDA forums. I think this is the way to go - you're only talking about 15 minutes to get it done.