ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

I have a Samsung s5 and my screen will not swipe to let me

Customer Question

Hi i have a Samsung s5 and my screen will not swipe to let me in.. I have an alterantive password ***** i have forgotten..how do i get in??
Thank you
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

If you have forgotten the alternative password ***** cannot swipe in, then you will need to carry out a reset which will return the phone to factory default settings and erase all your personal data.

To reset the phone:

Step 1:

Remove the battery to power the phone off. Performing a hard reset requires the phone to be off to start, and the Power button may not work if your phone is locked. Remove the back cover, pull the battery out and re-insert it after waiting 30 seconds.

Step 2:

Press and hold the “Power,” “Volume Up” and “Home/Menu” buttons at the same time. Release the “Power” key as the phone boots but continue holding the “Volume Up” and “Home/Menu” buttons.

Step 3:

Release the “Volume Up” and “Home/Menu” buttons once the recovery menu appears. Use the “Volume Down” key to navigate through the menu.

Step 4:

Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” and press the “Power” key to confirm your selection. Press the “Volume Down” key to highlight “Delete All User Data” and press the “Power” key to select. You may be asked if you're sure you'd like to proceed; use the “Volume Down” key to highlight “Yes” and press the “Power” key.

Step 5:

Reboot the phone once the reset is complete. Once the phone finishes resetting, you'll see a new menu. Select “Reboot System Now” with the “Volume Down” key and press the “Power” key to confirm.