Ashik, Android Tech
Experience:  Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
16433418

Sombody has locked me out of my kindle and wants $300 to

Customer Question

Sombody has locked me out of my kindle and wants $300 to unlock it Since that is more than I paid for it I wonder if I have other options?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

That is a SCAM message. It is also called ransomware and it has been around for a few years. Don't pay the ransom.

First soft-reset the Kindle. Press and hold down (or slide) the Power button for 20 seconds and this will reset the Kindle. Now we can clear the browser/silk app. Follow the steps below;

1. Tap the Settings icon from the Home screen and select "More" (or swipe down from top and select Settings)

2. Tap "Applications" and select All Applications.

3. Find and select the Silk or Web/browser app. Then tap Clear Data and Clear Cache. Restart your Kindle.

If that didn't work, then we have to boot your Kindle to Safe Mode and factory reset the device. Turn off Kindle. Then press and hold down Volume Down and Power button at the same time for a few seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode.

After booting into Safe Mode, Go to Settings. Tap Device Options, and then tap Reset to Factory Defaults. Tap Reset to confirm. Resetting to factory defaults will erase everything from your Kindle. But after factory reset, you can re-register it with your Amazon account you used on it to redownload all your books/contents without paying again.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Remember, this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work please don't rate me bad or poor. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get into anything at all including settings
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

That means that malware/ransomware has completely affected your Kindle. You will have to factory reset it.

Press and hold down Power button and Volume button until it turns off and then boot into Safe Mode. Don't release the buttons until it boot into Safe mode.

In Safe Mode, you should be able to open Settings. Let me know how it goes.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

When it boot into safe mode, you will see Safe Mode at lower corner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello are you still there
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, did you get my last reply ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you didn't get my reply, here is it again.

That malware/ransomware has completely affected your Kindle. You will have to factory reset it.

In Safe Mode, you should be able to open Settings and do factory reset from there under Device Options > Reset to Factory Defaults. Let me know how it goes.

PS When it boot into safe mode, you will see Safe Mode at lower corner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have volume button on my kindle
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Is this the old first generation Kindle Fire ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had it for three years
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately It doesn't have the option for safe mode. Do you have a passcode protection enabled for it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
To make sure your Kindle is locking up with that message when you turn it on. Right ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I turn it on I slide the open symbol and it goes right to the screen which says the fbi has locked the screen
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
There is no safe mode for Ist gen model. We have only one option to try. Turn off the Kindle completely. Turn it back on. The moment it turned on, Immediately slide it unlock and immediately go in to Settings and do factory reset before that FBI screen comes on. You have to be very fast and this would take a couple of tries to get to settings. You have to do this in a split second. Once you get to settings, you will be able to reset it. Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the symbol for settings does not even come up
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately your Kindle is infected with that malware. The reason is that you somehow installed something from internet that shouldn't be installed. Kindle 1st Gen are very vulnerable and hard to remove since it doesn't have safe mode. You will have to send it to Amazon to get it replaced. They usually don't fix it, but replace the device with a refurbished with less cost. You can contact them from here --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html?skip=true#b

or via this number --> +1(###) ###-####/p>

You have to send it to Amazon. Call Amazon and they will arrange the shipping and send you necessary details.

Everything is stored on your Amazon account in cloud. When you get a new Kindle, all you have to do is register it with the same Amazon account you used on your old Kindle and everything you purchased can be redownloaded without paying again.

If you had passcode enabled, then it would be easy to reset it by entering incorrect password.

I'm really sorry I couldn't solve your problem, but this is something we can't fix online. Sorry.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I want to hear from a different Expert.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

.