Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Android Expert.
23511658

I have just upgraded from my old Kindle to a new one

Customer Question

I have just upgraded from my old Kindle to a new one (paperwhite model) and I seem to have lost the dozen or so books I had on the old reader. Have they been lost in the "cloud" ? Do I have to buy a Kindle Cloud reader? Cheers Euan
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

On Kindle, you never lose your books. At least not permanently. It's possible they were stored in the cloud and that's why you are not seeing them or even if there were stored on your previous device. All you should have to do is log into your Amazon account when you start up the Kindle. Amazon won't make you store the books in any specific location – they won't force you to use a Kindle cloud reader or anything like that. Once a book is purchased under your account it stays purchased and your account as far as I know indefinitely. If you're new Kindle is already registered and you're having a problem, you can always login on your computer to your Amazon account, go to the book that you purchased, and instructed to download to your ex ex device. Usually it will register kindles as a device number like Mike's first Kindle device Mike 2nd Kindle device and so on. If you tell it to put it that can device it should do it for you without any other problems. Let me know how you make out.