Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Android Expert.
23511658

How can I keep this message from popping up on my phone

Customer Question

How can I keep this message from popping up on my phone every 2 seconds; "Sorry, program is abnormal, it will exit"
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help!

When do you see this message? Is it when trying to use a certain app? If you restart your phone, does the message come back immediately?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is all the time - no matter what page or app is running. It blinks on and off constantly. And yes, it starts up again whenever I restart the phone.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to access any menus? Or does this message prevent you from doing anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can access menus all, but anytime the notice is on the screen, whatever icon it happens to be covering is inactive. And as I say, it blinks on and off constantly
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

There is a long solution and a short one, the long solution would be to go into application settings and force each app to stop one at a time until you discover which is causing the message. The short solution would be to backup and restore. (Settings, General, backup and restore)

A full restore should fix the problem. I wish I could tell you based on the message what was causing it, but this is a very generic error and could be caused by any application.

If you need more detailed instructions on either solution, please reply with what version of android you currently have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done a factory reset. That didn't fix the problem - it came back before I re-installed any apps.
I am currently on Android 5.0.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Did you restore through the menu or through booting too the recovery console?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Menu - Factory Data Reset
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Lets try it from the recovery console.

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
    • Volume Up key
    • Home key
    • Power key.
  3. When 'GALAXY Note 3' appears on the screen, release the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key.
  4. When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
  5. Press the Volume down key to highlight 'wipe data / factory reset.'
  6. Press Power button to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight 'delete all user data.'
  8. Press Power button to select and start the master reset. When the master reset is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
  9. Press the Power key to turn the restart the device.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I did that, and the message is still there -blinking on and off every second.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

"Sorry, program is abnormal, it will exit" is that the exact message that you receive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is the exact message.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Just for the fun of it, can you take out the sim card and SD card, turn on the phone, and see if you get the same message?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
very same message.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

I am all out of ideas, let me open up the question to someone else here and let them take over. So sorry I couldn't be of help.

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can provide you with additional assistance.

The message that you have provided is not a message that would appear on android device. To find out what the problem is, you need to have the exact wording of the message. There is no such thing as a message that says "sorry, program is abnormal". Possible messages are:

"abnormal program termination"

"application installer abnormal process termination"

and there should be more to the message including and "exit value".

The reason you are getting this message even after reset is because you have somehow restored the problem to the reset device.

Please do the reset, and set it up as a brand-new device. If you are using titanium backup, do not do the restore from titanium. Login with your Google account, re-synchronize all your data, and then add your apps back. Afterwards if there is something that doesn't synchronize for some reason that is on your titanium backup you can restore it, but do not restore apps or app data.