ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

I need help. Is it possible to retrieve deleted text

Customer Question

I need help. Is it possible to retrieve deleted text messages from an LG234vt1 prepaid cell phone? I don't see an obvious sim card behind the battery but this phone does have a camera, game apps and normal contat data that i assume has to be stored somewhere.... can you give me some advice or info? I don't know who to turn to or where to start....
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is a CDMA phone, so it has a built-in chip rather than a SIM card.
When you delete text messages from this phone, they are not immediately erased from the device. The messages are stored in the Deleted Items folder and can be restored again. If the Deleted Items folder has already been emptied then the messages have been permanently erased from the phone, however they would still be recoverable by a forensic data recovery expert using specialist equipment.
You could also try using a CSI stick to recover deleted information from the CDMA phone: http://sticks.paraben.com/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok two questions.
I'm in Athens Georgia. Who do I exactly call and no they are legit- where woul I find a forensic data recovery expert...I think I need someone that knows what they are doing so I don't damage any possible information.
Second, I don't see a sub port on this phone. It is s couple of years old. Is there a way to produce a sub connection with some sort of adaption device? Looks like all I have is a charger port and a headphone port.
Thanks you for your info... I am sadly trying to
provide complete information to a lawyer. My husband told me he had this "secret phone" for a few months and had only texted a "few " times to a nurse at work. He swears that it was all and said here you can have the phone to check. I" I don't want to lose you and I'll do anything to prove it". - I don't think he knew it was possible to retrieve deleted texts .... To be a professional, he isn't very tech savvy. I just really need to know what I'm dealing with here and trying to protect myself and children.
Any advice or guidance you can provide will be so helpful.... And may save a family....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry my texting has typos. I am rushing to get this to you... I know the difference between no and know... And I do know how to spell!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sub" was autocorrected from USB port. Sorry
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear about your situation.
You can use a USB adapter plugged into the charging port - this would be provided with the CSI stick if you obtained one of those.
If you want to have a professional investigate the phone, then you may need to enlist the services of a private investigator, eg. http://www.privateinvestigatorga.net/cell-phone-data-recovery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok- thanks so much , one more question...I found a place that has that usb / charging device to read the cell phone chip but he wanted to make sure it worked before he sold it to me....we hooked it in and it made all the right "flashdrive" type noises and said 'this will take a minute for installation of device driver.... but then the menu came up for the C, D, drive, etc and there was no "E" drive like he expected..... He was wondering if we were doing something wrong or if the reading device needed some kind of special software loaded on my computer? This was an "out of the box" item he had used because he didn't have one for sale with the charging / USB combination available. I'm scared to buy something online and not be sure it is the right one for this cell and all sites claim NO REFUNDS. suggestions? I'd like to try this in private with the accessory you suggested but it didn't just "plug and play"!
Should I just go hunt down some forensic expert.... i don't know who or how to ask... thank you one more time....just really lost right now. I will rank you the highest score possible. Lindy
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lindy,
No, the reading device should not need some special software - it should normally work straight out of the box; However some computers may be unable to recognize external USB devices in some circumstances, so try connecting it to a different computer and let me know if works there.
If you know a trusted computer specialist nearby, they will know the general checks to try when these USB devices don't connect like they should.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance at all,
Best,
Pete.