ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

When I try to use the stock "Email" app that comes with

Customer Question

When I try to use the stock "Email" app that comes with Android, with my imap mail server, it always crashes after initial setup where it begins to download the email. It then crashes every time I open it and try to access my mail. If I use K9 Mail app,
it works just fine. My inbox has around 4,000 email and I have about 30 folders with messages in them, as well.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This problem with the stock Email app can happen if you have an email with a malformed Content-Disposition entry in its header in your inbox.
You will need to log into the web version of your email and delete the offending email there. Your Android mail app will no longer attempt to download the email and therefore won't crash.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How should I locate which message has the malformed Content-Disposition entry in its header? Thx!
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
If you have 4000 emails then it's going to be difficult!
It is likely to be in a junk email though, so delete any junk items first, then check again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I deleted all the spam folder contents and it still happens. I made sure to empty the trash first before I tried with the app on my phone again. I'm not sure what a malformed content-disposition is, and how it is shown in an email header. If I had a little more information, then I could use your information to hopefully find the culprit. Otherwise... thanks!!
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
A malformed header has strange characters in it that your phone's email app cannot process.
After deleting all of the junk emails, I would try removing any emails which may contain Chinese or other characters that are not native to your phone's location.
You could also try moving a lot of the emails into a non-synced folder, and only import, say, 1000 at a time, and check if the error occurs with each batch - that way, you can narrow it down some more.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
I notice your rating for my service has not gone through...
Do you need any further assistance?