Josh, Technician
Experience:  Android technician
50836188

I have a a Samsung Note 2 and all of a sudden for

Customer Question

I have a a Samsung Note 2 and all of a sudden for the past several days, my keyboard shows up out of the blue and is frozen on the screen ... most of the time it appears on top of a chat message and is frozen, and most of the other time it appears when the phone is locked and you press the side button to wake up the phone. The keyboard shows up on top of the lock screen and I can not enter my 4-digit password ***** the keyboard is blocking the number key pad. My only option is to press and hold the side button down and wait for the menu to pop up to Power Off my phone. I've powered it down a several times, and even removed my battery several times, but that only resolves it for a little while and then the issue reappears again.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!
I would suggest performing a factory reset to see if the issue is software related. If the issue happens after the reset then it is hardware related and would need to be repaired/replaced.
To perform the factory reset:
Turn your phone off.
With the phone off, press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key. You'll see the Android recovery screen.
Scroll to Wipe Data/Factory Reset using the Volume Up or Down keys. Select with the power key.
Scroll down to Yes, Delete User Data and select it.
Back on the first screen, scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition and select it.
Your factory reset is now complete.
Go to Reboot System Now to restart the phone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hate to ask this, but since I have never done a factory reset on any smartphone I have every owned, I have some concerns before performing the factory reset you advised ... Will I lose any of the following if I perform the factory reset: (1) my existing Chat Messages that I have open on my Messaging app, (2) my contacts, (3) my photos, videos, music, files, (4) my voicemail messages, (5) my apps and pages I saved to my screens, (6) my calendar, etc. I really don't want to lose the "current setup" of what I have on my phone and lose my existing chat messages, contacts, calendar, etc. and the screen layouts I have right now of my apps and web pages. Can you please advise back if the factory reset will erase my current setup? Thanks.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you will lose your current setup that you have but unfortunately at this point, you will lose the setup either way -- you can perform the reset on this device or the device will need to be replaced -- either way, you will lose the current setup.