Ashik, Android Tech
Experience:  Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
16433418

My Kindle White Screen (7th Gen.) will, suddenly, not connect

Customer Question

My Kindle White Screen (7th Gen.) will, suddenly, not connect to my wi-fi.
I know the details I am using are correct. For instance I connect to Safari with no problem using the same network and password. The kindle shows my network with a lock closed.
When I put the details in manually a message comes up - ' Your kindle cannot connect to wifi.'
Can you help?
Chris Cribb
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
Are you 100% sure you are using right password ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Goto Settings > WiFi and you will see the WiFi network there. Select it and 'Forget it' if you see that option.
Then soft-reset your router. This will assign new IP addresses to all devices. Press the reset button on the back of the router for only 1 second and this will soft reset. Remember, don't press it for more than 1 second.
Then wait 2 minutes and turn it off. Disconnect it from Power. Wait 2 minutes, connect it back and then turn it on. Connect your Kindle to it.
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Only rate the answer after we've solved the problem.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Also soft-reset the Kindle too. Press and hold down (or slide) the Power button for 20 seconds and this will reset the Kindle. Then connect to WiFi.
If it still not working, then we can change the SSID of your router so your Kindle will see it as new WiFi and it will connect to it. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My router (netgear) appears no to have a reset button.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
There should be small hole on the back of the router and the reset button is in it. You can use a paper clip to reset it.
Before resetting, try the Kindle reset. If that didn't work, then you can soft-reset the router.
See a sample picture here --> http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/mrcullen/2011-06-05_184114_netgear_general_-_reset_button_location.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have reset the Kindle and I have found the reset button on the router and pressed that quickly but the lock on my Network is still there
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The lock on the Kindle means that the WiFi is password ***** or the WiFi is secure.
Do you have any computer there connected to the WiFi ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Safari
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Is that a Apple Mac or Windows PC ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apple Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I want you to verify the password ***** your Mac. You can see the correct WiFi password ***** the Keychain Access application of your Mac. You can open Keychain Access application from Applications > Utilities folder. Follow the instructions in here to see the password ***** your WiFi --> http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/56130/how-to-find-wifi-password-on-my-mac-which-is-already-connected Let me know what password ***** see there
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm just checking How is it going. Did you get the right password ***** your Mac ?
See this video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VDyUnn03vM
Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is not a password ***** Netgear
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
How is your Mac connected to the Netgear ? via ethernet cable or via wireless ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wireless. My Safari is connected through my I-Mac to the Netgear
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Remember, you have to search for the Wireless name not Netgear in your Mac.
Can we do a remote screen sharing session, so I can remotely connect to your Mac and help you directly to fix the issue ?
Follow the steps below to start remote support session.
You have to do this from your computer itself. On your Mac, open Safari. Then goto this website ---> www.fastsupport.com
In FastSupport website, you will see two text columns. Name and Support Key. Under Name, enter your name and under Support Key enter this code --- >###-##-####
Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions to connect. An application will be downloaded. So click on Downloads button in Safari (the downward arrow button on the top right). Another way to open Downloads is from Window menu or from View menu in the top within Safari. Then open the Citrix Online Launcher/Downloader file you see there and then open the Citrix Online Launcher/Downloader application and let it connect.
Let me know if you have any difficulty connecting to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We seem to have got lost
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No. I'm here. I will stay with you until we sort this out.
Since the correct password ***** work, it might be the issue with the firmware of your Kindle.
From Home, tap the Menu. Then tap Settings.
Tap the Menu icon again, and then tap Reset Device.
This will factory reset your Kindle. Remember, factory reset will remove everything from your Kindle and return it to new. But you can re-register it with your old Amazon account and redownload all the past purchases for free.
If the issue is with the Kindle, factory reset will fix the problem. If the issue is with the router which is very unlikely, then factory reset will not help. Please let me know how it goes.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, Just checking. How is it going ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dear Ashik could you contact me I am having trouble re-logging into Kindle
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, Yes. What issue are you facing ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If you don't remember your Amazon account password, then you can reset it from here --> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/self-service-forgot-password-get-email
If you have trouble connecting to WiFi, please let me know.