AnswerManRob
AnswerManRob, Technician
Experience:  Over two decades of experience in electronics, including teaching for 5 years.
24991566

My nook simple touch is simply moving the arrows from lock to unlock

Customer Question

My nook simple touch is simply moving the arrows from lock to unlock by itself. I cannot find a method for a factory reset and have tried several. This happend with a previouse nook and they had to replace. Am I in the same boat or can I take the back off to reset?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  AnswerManRob replied 1 year ago.
You should be able to reset it by pressing and holding the power button for 20 seconds. Let me know if it does not reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, please read my question carefully. I have tried that. Power button doesn't do it. Nor does power and N button. Nor does power and left right buttons. I really believe that I have to take it back to barnes and noble unless you can come up with a novel way to reset it (which is why I paid the money). I really don't think it's going to work, but I'm hoping you're smarter than the nook guy the last time I took it to BN.
If you tried that, sometimes if you can get it to manually update the software, it will free it.
To get the update manually, you can download the software update to your computer at any time and then copy it onto your NOOK Simple Touch or NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight. Simply follow the steps below.
Manual Download Instructions
1. From your computer, go to this link for the software update file.
http://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/nook2/1.2.1/US/QEM5Ljgt6sxsoUhs1ypATSufC9bS7WCNbMJmvnTq/nook_1_2_update.zip
Select Save and select Desktop as the location. Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way. Do NOT open the *.ZIP file.
2. Tap Settings on your NOOK's Quick Nav Bar, then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOK battery charge is at 20% or more.
3. Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOK. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a "USB Mode" message on your NOOK screen.
4. From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded *.ZIP file onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. Do NOT open or unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to any other existing folder.
5. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK drive after the file transfer is complete.
6. Your NOOK will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.
7. Please do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot "save" zipped file. I can open or show in folder, but does not work.
So it is on the computer? If you have found it on the computer, don't worry about opening it...just move it over to the Nook. Or am I misunderstanding you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It downloads the file to a little box on the lower left hand side of the browser. From there I can open it (which does not work), but I cannot move it. You can't just "move it over to the nook". I'm pretty sure I'm hosed.
If it's on the lower left hand side of the browser, it has downloaded. If you select "show in folder", does it show it in a folder? If so, you can drag and drop it into the Nook using your file manager.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I dragged it over. I'll let it try to go to sleep, but right now it's still moving the arrows from lock to unlock so I'm not sure if it will reset. I will let you know.
Okay...I will be here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's gone to sleep with the authors faces on the screen, but no other movement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now what? Do I try a reset with the power button?
At least we have some progress. Do not turn it off. It can take a while to install.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to go to sleep. Can we continue this tomorrow?
Yes. I will be here. I think it's going to work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not working. What do I do now?
Oh no. Approximately when did you purchase it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A year or so, but I'm going to have a come to Jesus with BN as this is the same problem twice.
If it's less than a year old, there's a warranty on it. You don't need a receipt. They know when it was registered to your account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, do I get the $15 credited back?
I can send this to customer service for a refund if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so very much. I was happy to pay if it worked, but alas, it did not. Thanks for trying and I'll look for the refund. Jeff
Have a great day.