Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
57442719

My internal storage space in my Android tablet is almost

Customer Question

My internal storage space in my Android tablet is almost full, but I don't know why. In settings, under "storage" it says I have less than 1MB of downloads and audio, 3.21GB miscellaneous, 851MB cached, 1GB free, and 2.95GB applications. My total internal
storage is 8GB. I need to free space, but don't want to clear all the cache, because I don't know what I will lose if I do (saved, learned predictive typing on keyboard apps? Open browser tabs in crime that need? Shopping carts in webpages that I'm not signed
into as a member? Ongoing instant message conversations in popup Windows for online dating sites?). The risk just seems to great. I have used file manager apps to look around four things to delete, but haven't been able to find enough. Plus, some files will
show up with some apps, but not when I connect my tablet to my computer with a USB cable. Since Android KitKat removed the ability to transfer files from fillers to SD expansion cards (I have one), I can't transfer some of the files I have found and don't
need to my micro SD card, because since they don't show up on the computer when I connect it, I can't transfer them to the computer, then back to the card. How else can I free space? I'd love to know what is in misc, where to find it, and see if I need it.
Also, it would be great if I could store and run apps from my SD card, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. I am able to set the settings on many apps to save files they create to the exclamation card, but not to install the apps themselves
on the card and run them off of it. All this has been a problem because, for some reason, even when I've had as much as 600MB off free space on my tablet, when I've tried to install new apps or updates that are smaller than 10MB I get a message saying something
like "there is not enough room on your device to install this app." When that has happened, I've then gone and deleted 10MB of files, tried again, and still gotten the same message, which makes no sense. There have to be filled hiding somewhere that I haven't
been able to find, and perhaps aren't registering with Android storage assessment in settings, and I need to be able to identify them, see if I need them, and get rid of them if I don't. Maybe there's a better file manager app you know of and could suggest?
A workaround for transferring files directly to my SD card? Something else?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What is the make and model of the Tablet?
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The make and model are Verizon Ellipsis 7. (Yes, Verizon did/does make it's own tablet. They may subcontract the manufacture, but it is branded as a Verizon device. They are not terribly popular, but mine was free, so can't beat the price.) I don't know if Verizon has had two editions of the Elipsis 7 or not, but the one I have was one of the earlier units to be released. It did not come with KitKat, I do not believe. If memory serves, that was an OTA update I got some time ago, not that long after getting the tablet.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Have you restarted the Tablet to see if this frees up space?