Josh, Technician
Experience:  Android technician
50836188

I just recently bought a Samsung Galaxy 3 & I LOVE IT OR

Customer Question

Hi! I just recently bought a Samsung Galaxy 3 & I LOVE IT OR I SHOULD SAY LOVED IT! However recently I was at my sister's house and she got ahold of my phone while I was sleeping & it hasn't worked properly since. Just a day or so before she made comments
about how she would like to put some kind of a spyware app on our other sister's phone. I know believe me she is crazy! Ever since I have been unable to send and receive phone calls & text messages! I contacted customer support and they kept telling me to
do the same thing over and over and it never worked. So I had to download an app so I can make phone calls and texts messages but that's getting really old and I would like to use my phone that's why I bought it and it wasn't cheap! Another thing that happened.
...she (sister) sent me a couple text messages to my app number but it says they are coming from me! My phone number, my regular phone number. How can I figure out if I have a spy app on my phone and if I do what steps do I need to take to get rid of it and
then what do I need to do to step up the security on my phone so that hopefully I never have to deal with this again? ??
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
I would recommend that you perform a factory reset on your phone which will wipe the data/programs off the phone so that anything she did, is erased from your phone.
Go into Settings then Back and Reset then Factory Data Reset then Reset Device then Delete All
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What all will I be deleting off my phone? ?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
It will delete any apps installed and data off the phone so if someone placed a tracking app or program, it will be removed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well for OBVIOUS REASONS I DO NOT want to DELETE all of the apps & data that is on my phone! Is this the only option or is there an alternative? Or can you instruct me on how to backup all of my apps & data & contacts & settings etc. so I don't lose them? I have several backup programs on my phone but don't know how to use them so that I am sure everything is saved or what I need to do or how I need to pullup the info I've backed up after I do the factory reset.
I just realized that if I save all the apps and reinstall th that the spyware would reinstall but if I just login to Google Play after the factory reset won't I be able to see all of my apps there & reinstall the ones that I choose to? ???
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
It is the only option available to remove the spyware. You are correct with being able to download the apps again from Google Play otherwise if you save any data, it could be infected with the spyware.