Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My Samsung Galaxy 10.1 is not charging. When I plug in the

Customer Question

My Samsung Galaxy 10.1 is not charging. When I plug in the charger, I get the appropriate chime, and the screen indicator shows that the battery is charging (battery with lightning bolt when device is on; image of battery charging when off). It appears, then, that the device recognizes the charger and is receiving current from it, yet the battery is not charging. I am down to 3% of battery power remaining.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
From your very clear description of the problem, it seems evident to me, that your battery (or perhaps your charger / AC Adapter) is defective.
Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a Samsung Galaxy; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.
Of course, you should first examine the charger or AC Adapter for any sign of a problem: excessive overheating of the 'transformer', and strain, breaks, fraying or excessively frequent bending at any point on the cord, broken jack, etc. Any sign of such a problem could just mean that the AC Adapter is at fault, though if the battery in the device is several years old, the battery is more likely to be the problem.
In fact, the pattern of charge amount should tell you: if it gets to a certain point of charge, but never past that point (or, if it says it is fully charged but suddenly runs down after a short time), that's a bad battery most likely. But if it charges irregularly, sometimes very little, and sometimes steadily and a lot, that's a defecrtive AC Adapter that probably has a partially broken cord. Also, if it charges but never gets past a certain point of charging, e.g. 15 % and no more... well, that could be either one.
Replace the battery, I would say, just on the basis of probabilities in general, and also if the AC Adapter doesn't look like it's the problem by the criteria I mentioned above.