Ashik, Android Tech
Experience:  Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
16433418

All of a sudden my Tablet is not recognizing my router. It

Customer Question

All of a sudden my Tablet is not recognizing my router. It was this morning, but not now. Any ideas? the router is still working for my smartphone
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
Did you mean it is not finding your WiFi ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, not finding my wiFi
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you check it with other WiFi network? Does it recognize other WiFis ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it recognizes my data provider when I turn off WiFi and use Cellular data. But my smartphone, not the tablet, still is able to access my WiFi here at home.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
But can you try to connect to different WiFi network ? like your friends or neighbors'
That will tell us whether the problem is with the tablet or with your router, so we can move to right direction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so I'm thinking I must have done something to the settings on the tablet, the router is working for my phone! I can't use any neighbor's
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you agree the problem is the tablet not the router?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
OK,then troubleshoot your Tablet. First press the reset button on the back of the router for 1 second. This will re-assign fresh IP address to all the devices. Then after 3 minutes, turn it off and unplug it for 5 minutes. Then plug it back and turn it on.
Now on your Tab goto Settings > Applications Manager (or Application). Swipe left or right to all tab. Locate and select Google Services Framework. Click Force Stop. Then click Clear Cache and Clear Data.
Then turn off your Tab. Wait 2 minutes and turn it on. Then try to connect. Does it recognize now ?
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
We can't make sure it is tablet until we troubleshoot it. I've seen many devices where its wifi chip failed without any reasons. That is why I wanted you to try your Tablet on another WiFi.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Go to Settings/Wireless & Network or Wi-Fi, tap the Menu/Options softbutton, and select Advanced/Wi-Fi Frequency Band. Change the Frequency to Auto or 2.4 Ghz.
Also, forget your saved WiFi network from Settings > WiFi. Does it recognize now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if my WiFi works for my Iphone why wouldn't we infer the problem is with the tablet? I don't know anyone here where I live who would let me onto their WiFi. I'm going through the reset steps in your instructions above
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I know it doesn't make any sense, but sometimes issues or glitches in router will make it difficulty to connect it with other devices. Soft resetting the router will rule it out.
Then we can troubleshoot the tablet. Let me know how it goes.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
On your Tab, goto Settings and turn on Personal hotspot. Then turn it off. Check if you are able to connect to WiFi
Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now the router is not responding normally. It is not going through the process to get to the blue "ready" light. It is showing a number "3" I've never seen before. I'm going to quit this process for this morning. I've got to get to work. I'll try again later this afternoon. Maybe have better luck. By the way, there's only one other little button on the back of the router besides the off/on. I'm assuming that's the reset, correct? talk with you later. thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is reset button. When you soft reset, it will reset some settings to default and it may take some time to connect.
OK, we can continue later. Have a great day,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'm back. Are you still up for this?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I'm here. Did you try my suggestions ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The router is now no longer working. I have unplugged and disconnected it awaiting your step by step to bring it back to life
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you hold that button for more than 1 second ?
Holding down for more than 1 second will hard reset it which will erase some settings. But you can easily reconfigure it. What is the model and make of that router ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WNR2000 Model V4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Netgear Genie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Netgear31
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Connect the router to your computer with the ethernet cable. Also, call your ISP and ask them for your broadband/account username and password.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you want me to unplug the Ethernet cable that is connecting my modem to my computer and plug the cable into the router instead without connecting the power to the router? I'm going to lose my session with you, is that correct?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Isn't your router connected to your modem ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not at this minute. I couldn't get online with it connected after this morning pushing buttons.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a user name and password ***** the Netgear router
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
How was your setup actually prior the reset ?
Was the ethernet cable from the modem connected to the router and then another cable from LAN1 port of router to your PC ?
or was the ethernet cable from the modem connected to the router and your PC connected to the router via WiFi ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ethernet cables between modem and router then to pc
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
To pc via wired or wireless ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wired
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I set it up again can we talk by phone until I get back online?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or I can switch to the tablet and use my cellular date plan to connect with you
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Then setup it like that again. Ethernet cable between modem and router AND another cable between router and pc. Don't connect modem directly to the pc. Also, make sure you connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of your router.
And connect the router to your PC from the LAN port. You will not be able to access internet when you setup this way, but you will be after configuring the router.
Now we can reconfigure the router. Connect the router to your computer with the ethernet cable and also turn on your router and modem.
Then open your internet browser and goto this website --> http://192.168.1.1
When asked for username and password, enter "admin" and "password" without quotes.
This will open router configuration window. Click Setup Wizard and follow the onscreen instructions to setup. It should automatically detect correct setup, if not then manually setup and select Brige Mode as connection type.
You can also setup wireless settings there.
You can get back to me from your Tab since you have carrier network on it. On your tab, goto www.justanswer.com, login to your account and open this question under My Questions. Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what's my justanswer password?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I don't know about that. I'm just a tech here and I don't have access to those details. Don't you remember it ?
If it is not working, then connect the modem directly to PC and get back to me.
You router just forget the setting it had. All we need to do is, reconfigure it which will take only 2 or 3 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
went through setup at Netgear site. But
router does not work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay im on my tablet so maybe we can get the router going now
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Lets check something first.
Connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the router's yellow port.
Then connect another ethernet cable from the LAN port of router to your PC.
Login to your router. let me know once you did that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay finally logged in
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you see Setup Wizard in the left column ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got you on tablet and netgear on PC
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
On your computer, goto this website --> http://192.168.0.1
or goto this website --> http://www.routerlogin.net
This will take you to the router configuration window. If asked for username and password, enter admin for username and password ***** password.
This will login to your router. Now, what do you see exactly ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Internet status: good, wireless "warning off"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attach devices 1
parental off
guest not enabled
menu on left
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Click on Wireless setting and what do you see ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check in box "enable 20/40 coexistence
Bunch of stuff WPS settings incl router's pin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Advance wireless settings at top choice of cancel or apply
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Under Wireless settings, change the SSID to something you want.
Select WPA2 or WPA for security. Enter password ***** Wifi in there and save settings. Are you able to connect now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is SSID
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
WiFi network name
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing about name on my screen
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What do you see under Advanced wireless settings ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Enable wireless router radio
Ebabke 20/40 Mhz Coexistence
Fragmentation length
CTRTS threshold
Preamble mode
Turn off signal schedule
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keep existing wireless settings (box checked)
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The configuration type of this router is different from other netgear routers.
"Enable wireless router radio" Can you enable this one ?
Also, select "Router Settings" from the main window or left column. Then login with username and password ***** asked (admin and password(
Click WIreless Settings and do you see Modify button ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No such buttons available.. I chaecked the enable router radio one but the others you mention do not appear on the screen. I'm weary of the process,, I'll have to do without the router until a better approach can be determined. Thanks for you patiience.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Now, do you see "Router Settings" in the left column. See this picture --> http://i1-win.softpedia-static.com/screenshots/NETGEAR-Genie_3.png