Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I need help rooting a Motorola Min Droid running Android 4.4.4.

Customer Question

I need help rooting a Motorola Min Droid running Android 4.4.4. It is imperative that I be able to access some deleted text messages on this device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank!
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
What was the issue you had when trying to root via one click?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It recognized the device, but I believe it simply said fail. I borrowed a PC for that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seemed to be not compatible with the combination of Android 4.4.4 and the Mini.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do it this way
Download the APK from my link below to your desktop
click me to open
And download ADB from my link below to your desktop
Click me to open
Extract files from ADB to your desktop by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
Enable USB debugging on your phone by going to Menu > Settings > Developer options > USB debugging.
Plug in your device to your PC via USB cable.
Launch a Command Prompt Window on your desktop. To do that, hold down Shift and right-click on any blank area on your screen and select Open command window here.
Type in following command into the Command Prompt Window. Make sure to replace filename.apk with the actual name of the APK file you have downloaded from me.
adb install -r filename.apk
It should install the PwnMyMoto app on your device.
Once installed, launch it from your App Drawer.
It should begin rooting your device, and your device may reboot 2-3 times during the process.
When it’s done, head over to the Google Play store and download and install SuperSU on your device.
The device will now be rooted.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, but right now all I have is a Mac. I can get access to a PC, but not immediately. Sorry, I should have had one here before I started this.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you can only do this via a PC, this may of been the reason you had problems before.
I have marked this question to never close, so when you have a PC, do my instructions and it should then be rooted, but any issues at any time, just let me know here.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,It's better if I rate you when this Root thing is successful. Then I will REALLY say nice things about you, because I have been going at this for at least five days so far. I'll contact you when I've got access to a PC laptop.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All right, I've got a Microsoft PC now. I will attempt to do this.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did everything up to typing in the install command. When I do this I get back:'abd' is not recognized as an internal or external command
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then you need to go into the ADB folder but it should have been there now if you did the instructions I gave.
On the command prompt, what do you see on the left? eg: c:\user\
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, what the command prompt actually says is:'install' is not recognized as an internal or external command
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
\Users\vaio\Desktop>
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, starting to get a little confused here....
first, what exactly did you type in
second, On the command prompt, what do you see on the left? eg: c:\user\
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
typed into command line:install -r PwnMyMoto-1.4.3-Droid.apkOn left I see:\Users\vaio\Desktop>
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but the command is
adb install -r filename.apk
With Filename being the file name
Can you do it as I specified in the instructions please?
Ill repeat
adb install -r filename.apk
The device will now be rooted.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I typed exactly that into the command line and the response is:'abd' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.The ABD.zip file extracted fine and put on the desktop fastboot.exe, AdbWinUs... files
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
and you see adb.exe correct
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
and its ADB NOT ABD
Please can you really take time and read through very carefully my instructions as you keep getting them wrong and it wont work this way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, sorry, this guys desktop is a mess, but abd.exe is there
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your typing it wrong
its ADB NOT ABD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. It now sayserror: device offline
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I have to be honest with you, if you do not follow the instructions I give you, carefully, you risk bricking the phone, which means it becomes unusable.
Already I see you mis did two instructions and I am concerned about you missing more and bricking the phone. This is also likely why you now get this error.
Is there someone there that you can work with together to go through my instructions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there is no one. Yes, I switched adb for abd. My eyes aren't what they used to be. Otherwise I haven't made any mistakes. The phone is perfectly fine. However, when I plug it into this computer, an autoplay window pops up. It gives several choices of what do do. One is:"open device to view files"There are also several others. Your directions didn't mention this. I'm guessing that all PC's don't have this. At the top of the autoplay window, it says: XT1030. I assume this is a model for the phone?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
IT wont matter which you choose and you dont need to do any
Did you Enable USB debugging on your phone by going to Menu > Settings > Developer options > USB debugging.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, absolutely.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Can you restart the computer then try to run the command again.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rebooted the computer. I typed in the command again. It responded:daemon not running. starting it now
daemon started successfully
error: device offline
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you connect it to a different USB port and then try the command again.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It gives the same result, but without starting the daemon. It just says:error: device offline
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, With your device connected via usb and the toolkit running, toggle USB debugging off/on on the phone and check if it prompts with a confirmation message to allow or disallow USB debugging on the phone
Do you see this appear on the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, make sure you check the box “Always allow from this computer”. Check this box and select ‘OK’.
Then try the command
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll do that, but I don't have access to the PC for now. I'll get back to you when I have it again.Sorry.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no problem, till then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I am back. To recapp, I turned the Debugging on the phone, off, then on. It asks me if I really want to do that, I say ok. I haven't seen the box "always allow from this computer."
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
what did you see when you did the last instructions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I ran the command I got
the Daemon not running,
then successfully running, then
error: device offline
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The last instructions I gave were
With your device connected via usb and the toolkit running, toggle USB debugging off/on on the phone and check if it prompts with a confirmation message to allow or disallow USB debugging on the phone
Do you see this appear on the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I did.
What do you mean by toolkit running?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ADB, with should be running from when you typed in ADB initially
So on that message check the box “Always allow from this computer”. Check this box and select ‘OK’.
Then run the command again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no evidence of adb running. There is not another window or message box.When I typeadbinto the command line, a string of commands and options appears.The version is 1.0.26It seems the program runs, but it doesn't give me the dialog box your referring to
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then click Allow on the message
Then run the command
ADB install -r PwnMyMoto-1.4.3-Droid.apk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that, and it still gives me"device offline"If I type ADB usb, it also says device offline.However, if I turn debugging off, and type ADB usb, it saysdevice not found.So apparently it knows the phone is there, but thinks it is "offline."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could a USB mouse cause any problems with this? The computer has a USB mouse, but it is not necessary to use it. I have unplugged it, but not since restarting.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, but the cable may cause the issue, can you try this with a different cable please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 cables, same result.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Type in
adb kill-server
Then type in the command
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This time it starts the daemon again, but again I got device offline. I found this on the Android debug bridge website:Note: When you connect a device running Android 4.2.2 or higher to your computer, the system shows a dialog asking whether to accept an RSA key that allows debugging through this computer. This security mechanism protects user devices because it ensures that USB debugging and other adb commands cannot be executed unless you're able to unlock the device and acknowledge the dialog. This requires that you have adb version 1.0.31 (available with SDK Platform-tools r16.0.1 and higher) in order to debug on a device running Android 4.2.2 or higher.the android on the phone is 4.4.4. Could it be that we need the new version of adb?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
This is the next step, download it from here
http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/index.html?pkg=tools
Then run from within the installed folder.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will it be ok if I download it on my mac, and move it to PC by flash drive?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, that should be ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok,I have installed a package of programs. In the applications folder of the PC there is an Android SDK Tools folder.Inside that folder are two applications:AVD Manager
SDK Manager
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
go into and find the ADB.exe file as thats what you need to run.
It should be i the SDK manager