Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have a rooted Verizon Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V). I have inserted

Customer Question

I have a rooted Verizon Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V). I have inserted a T-Mobile SIM, changed the network type from CDMA to Global, added the verified correct APN settings for T-Mobile, enabled LTE Band 4 via Service Mode, and rebooted to ensure settings have taken.
The result:
I can make/receive phone calls and texts. I can use data but it's slower than hell. I am only able to connect to T-Mobile Edge (2G). My wife has an iPhone 5s that connects to T-Mobile 4G LTE just fine in the exact same location. The T-Mobile tech told me that Verizon Galaxy devices are unable to connect to any of the T-Mobile networks beyond 2G as they are manufactured that way. I believe he gave me the answer he was "allowed" to give me, however, as I have read numerous reports of my model of S5 successfully working on the T-Mobile LTE so long as the correct APN settings and bands are selected.
I have followed every guide online that I can and I DO have root access. What the hell am I missing? Why can I not connect to anything higher than 2G?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 years ago.

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.
I don't know all what you have done on the computer, in terms of configuration. For this reason, I will walk you through the full setup below.
Please, follow the instructions below on the phone:
- Go to Settings > More Settings > Mobile Networks > Network Mode.
- Change to "Global" mode.
- Turn off your mobile data at this point.
- Turn off your phone and on.
- Go to Settings > More Settings > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names.
- Click the "+" to add an APN. Call the APN T-Mobile LTE and type: fast.t-mobile.com for the APN.
- Leave everything else blank.
- Click the Menu button and tap Save.
- Once that is saved, click on the green radial button to select the new APN you just created.
- Exit Settings
- Turn the Mobile Data back on.
- Turn the phone off and on.
Once it comes back up, you should be all set with LTE speed.
If you need anything else in the future, please let me know.
Thank you for your time today.
- Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already done all of this. As described in my original post, I already configured the APN. I tried it this way as well as by manually inputting the MMS server and various other pieces of info.
Which frequencies are available in your location, as far as LTE frequencies go?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3G: 1700/2100
4G LTE: 700/1700/2100
Thank you for the update.
As it stands, it "should" work. I am aware you already probably know this.
Did you purchase LTE bandwidth on your T-Mobile plan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did. Two lines. My wifes iPhone found LTE immediately and works like a charm. My S5, not so much. Just 2G Edge.
I don't know what else to try. It 'should' work as it is configured now.
In the wireless setup, did you verify that you enabled the 4G LTE data?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I enabled LTE in the service mode.
As for network modes, I am only able to use Global. If I switch to LTE/CDMA, I get no signal at all. If I switch to GSM/UMTS, I get barely any and lose Edge 2G. I understand that Verizon uses CDMA, which is why I get no signal using that mode. But using Global mode with the correct APN settings should work and I've spent two days trying to figure out why.
I'm sorry to report, but there is nothing further that I can help with. All is setup correctly and 'should' work.
For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.
The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.
When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.
Thank you for your patience.
- Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for attempting anyway.
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 2 years ago.
Please do not Rate my answer until we finished with the session. Once you are satisfied please RATE 4 or above.
The above expert is correct, everything that you have done and he has told you to do is what you have already completed. Your device should work on T-Mobile.
At this point I am sorry to say you will have to take it into a T-Mobile store and have them to complete the steps in order for them to see what is going wrong.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would I end up bricking the phone if I flashed the SM-G900T (T-Mobile Galaxy S5) firmware onto this SM-G900V (Verizon Galaxy S5)?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
You have a good chance of bricking it, so would really avoid this.
But, get wifi working, then go to the Google Play Store and download the app
TWEAKKER
Install and run it and have it check your APN settings and follow any instructions it gives you to set the correct APN.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I read all of the reviews for that app and it says it comes loaded with all kinds of adware. As far as APN settings go, I promise you they are correct. I've spent two days researching and everything I've seen is telling me to use the same settings I am currently on.
I guess I'm hoping someone with some serious Android rooting knowledge can tell me that there is a file to modify within the service menu or something of the sort to "force" the phone to operate on T-Mobile's data network. I know the phone is capable, as all Galaxy S devices after 2013 are unlocked by default AND are capable of operating on all other carrier's frequencies; it's just a factory setting somewhere within the device that makes it so difficult to achieve. I KNOW this is possible, as I've seen a few people who were able to do this in my area successfully. It's just a matter of knowing exactly what else needs to happen other than what I've already done.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
no, there is no adware or reviews that say there is.
Yes of course the phones capable, and not not all Galaxy S devices are unlocked by default as this is up t the carrier.
Its not a factory setting in the device its eiterh T-Mobile blocking it or the wrong APN. Thats exactly what it is.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
one thing in case you set it, go to Settings, More Networks, Mobile Networks, Network Mode and make sure LTE/WCDMA/GSM (Auto Connect) is set.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here's my current APN settings. If something is wrong, then by all means please save me from this nightmare lol.
APN: fast.t-mobile.com
Proxy: not set
Port: not set (have experimented with port 80, but it didn't yield any change)
Username: not set
Password: not set
Server: not set
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
Multimedia message proxy: not set
Multimedia message port: not set (port 80 experimentation yielded no change)
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
APN type: default,mms,supl (this has been left blank as well, with no result)
APN protocol: IPv4 (IPv4/IPv6 kills signal altogether)
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Turn APN on/off: APN turned on
Bearer: unspecified
Mobile virtual network operator type: none
Mobile virtual network operator value: not set
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It differs per location and plan ect, so just use the app I recommended and be sure, not sure why your fighting this.
Also, one thing in case you set it, go to Settings, More Networks, Mobile Networks, Network Mode and make sure LTE/WCDMA/GSM (Auto Connect) is set.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The device I'm on is a SM-G900V, which only allows for:
Global
LTE/CMDA
GSM/UMTS
Global works and provides up to 2G service
LTE/CDMA kills signal altogether
GSM/UMTS works, but doesn't provide even 2G service
I searched for both Tweakker and Tweaker. No apps by that name pop up. The first one that I was mentioning with adware earlier is called "APN Settings". Is that the actual name of the app I need?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, looks like it was taken off today, likely the developer is doing something with it.
Use APN Settings instead please.
Let me know the results please