ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer
30970729

Wow, Nick. I've been chatting with Motorola tech support

Customer Question

Wow, Hi Nick. I've been chatting with Motorola tech support about the "RSD protocol support" message on my old Electrify phone. I need to try your suggestion. If I don't get anywhere, I'll be back in about 20 minutes, it looks like.
Category: Android Devices
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Per the answer posted on this site some time ago in response to someone else's question about this issue, I have removed the battery (the only way I can power off my phone right now) and re-inserted it, then charged it for 15 minutes (the battery was pretty full of charge before that), then disconnected the charger.While holding the Vol Down button, I also pressed the Power button. When the phone booted, it did NOT go to the Fastboot screen. It went to the same/only screen I've seen over many attempts to do this: the Motorola "dual core technology" logo and the message, "Starting RSD protocol support." None of the "hard" buttons seem to want to do anything, and certainly the soft buttons don't respond, either. I'm very stuck. I know the phone is ancient by tech standards, but if there's any way to revive it, I would REALLY like to do so.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Sorry for the delay - Nick is offline.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question.
The RSD PROTOCOL SUPPORT message is caused by a problem with the SIM card.
To resolve this, remove the SIM card and battery, hold power button in for a few seconds without the battery fitted, then fit the SIM card and battery and reboot the phone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks for that. Unfortunately, I don't know what the SIM card looks like or how to remove it. I just checked several sites online, and haven't seen anything helpful yet for the Electrify.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
The SIM card is a small card located in the battery compartment area.
Just slide it out to remove it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, Pete, the Motorola Electrify had no SIM card; it had run all these years without one. The people at the US Cellular store verified that when I took my phone in. Therefore, your advice didn't get me any further than what I had received from the Motorola help chat guys--none of it worked. At the USC store, they plugged it in to their diagnostics program, which indicated no bugs present and no software updates needed and which brought it back to life long enough to transfer data to a new phone.
Expert:  ITPeter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for the update.
Glad to hear you got sorted,
Have a great day!
Pete.