Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Android Expert.
23511658

I have a US Verizon Samsung GalaxySIII phone that I am

Customer Question

I have a US Verizon Samsung GalaxySIII phone that I am currently using only as a WI-FI tablet. I live in Canada and do business in the US so I would like to have it unlocked and then get a Bell Sim card I can use for data when away from Wi-FI. Will the
Bell sim card work and how do I unlock my phone? Thank you, Bob
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. US Verizon data networks consist of CDMA radio technology. Most other networks worldwide, including those that you Sim cards, our GSM. CDMA devices are not locked to a particular network, but they do have a fixed ESN that a mobile provider can opt to accept on their network or not. The devices that work on a CDMA network, in almost all cases, will not work on a GSM network. And that is the case with the Galaxy S3. If this were a GSM phone, then you could simply unlock it by calling the original carrier and as long as there is no record of the phone being lost or stolen, and it's not associated with an unpaid account, they will unlock it for free. Unfortunately, in the US we have these two wireless standards – really the only country in the world that does. And the phones are not interchangeable. So the only networks that this hardware will work on are those that employ CDMA technology – and in the US that is Verizon, Sprint, and their subsidiaries.