Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Android Expert.
23511658

Galaxy s3 randomly able to make calls or receive. Old phone,

Customer Question

Galaxy s3 randomly able to make calls or receive. Old phone, same carrier, new sim, factory reset. On 4g it is random if it will receive or make calls. Calling into it either goes to voice mail after two rings or the call goes through...
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.
There are two possible causes of this considering everything you've already tested. One of Ms. a bit of a longshot, but it is possible and it does provide an inexpensive fix if it works. And that is to simply change the battery to a brand-new battery. As these batteries age and start to malfunction, they can cause some very strange and on seemingly related symptoms to start occurring on the phone and they get worse and worse. The batteries are only a few dollars. The other possibility is that the digitizer is damaged or has failed. The digitizer is the part of the screen that is between the LCD and the outside lens and it detects your hand movements for your touches. If you need a digitizer you have to buy it with the LCD together because they are fused together and that is an expensive repair usually around $200 just for the part. So I would give the battery a try and if that doesn't help then I would explore the possibility of getting one of their nice new phones.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try the battery. But how could the digitizer have anything to do with calls actually connecting if it only sences touch and movements?
Are you able to successfully use the phone otherwise? Does it read all your touch input? If so in the problem is only with phone calls, then it would be a problem with the radio inside – usually referred to as the modem. This is something that can't really be repaired without replacing the main board internally. If it's something other than a battery the result will be the same. Because of the value of the phone versus what it would cost to have any significant repair done it would be more cost-effective to replace it.