Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Developer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Android Expert.
23511658

I have transferred a few files to my samsung galaxy 4 but when

Customer Question

I have transferred a few files to my samsung galaxy 4 but when I open them on my phone they are empty
they say I need to transfer them from jar and tar files to apk files I don't know what program to trust to do this and do I download it on my phone or computer?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. Transferring files to your device will not necessarily make them compatible with your device. In this case jar files are Java and an android device does not know how to execute them natively. They need to be converted to something that android can run. And APK file on android is similar to an EXE file on Windows. This is not necessarily easy to do. While there are some sites and applications that claim to do it easily they will not convert the files to something that is executable. The jar file is only one of the files that are needed to create the APK. There are several other steps included in converting that to something that can run on android. These steps are things that you would do in the development environment for android – the android SDK. The SDK is downloadable definitely requires development experience to use. If it is something that you would like to take on I can give you the link to the SDK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way you can do it for me remotely?
The guy who rooted my android did it through teamviewer.
Was that me? It may have been. We do offer remote services for an additional cost. But what I was saying was that just transferring .jar files is not enough to make the file work on android. To change it into an APK requries loading it in the development tools and developing and compiling. Maybe if you can provide an example .jar file?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to get it to you on another day as I have the files on my computer at home I am at work.
Okay, when you can get it to me just let me know and I'll take a look.