Ashik, Android Tech
Experience:  Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
16433418

Hi I am trying to copy my whatsapp chats from my old android

Hi
I am trying to copy my whatsapp chats from my old android galaxy S3 to my new galaxy S4 using an external SC card, but it's not working. My S3 does not seem to have an internal memory card. I have MobileGo and Kies can I use one of them for this step?
Pateel
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have an SD Card with you ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ashik,

yes

Great ! First, we can try to transfer using the SD Card. Before that, if you've installed WhatsApp on your S4, delete or uninstall it.

Then on your S3, open WhatsApp, open WhatsApps menu, select Settings, select Chat settings and select [Backup conversations].

This will backup your chat history on the SD Card. Now, take out the SD Card from the S3 and put it on your S4. Then install WhatsApp from Play Store. While installing it will automatically ask you to restore the chats from the SD Card, so hit Yes or OK.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can transfer using your PC.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried that yesterday it did not work. I will try again now. But before I do, does it matter which phone the sim card is in?

No, it doesn't matter.

Are you using a Windows PC ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, windows 7. And I have MobileGo and Kies
If it's easy, let's try the pc way

Connect your S3 to your PC. Open My Computer. Do you see your S3 listed in there ? It should be in the bottom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok wait

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You mean in MobileGo?

No, in My Computer. Can you see your phone name in there ? It should be like i9300 or something like that with a phone icon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

Open it and what do you see ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see the phone word and 9.3GB out of 11.1GB used

Open that, can you see a folder named sdcard in there ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did yesterday, but now it's in my new phone, shall I put it in my old phone now?

Did you copied that SD card folder from your old phone to new phone ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see what you're trying to do. Give me 5 minutes and let me backup whatsapp chats on my S3 to the SD card, and then connect my S3 to the PC and show you what the SD card says. Can you wait?

Sure, but try this first. On your S4, goto Settings > Applications (or Manage Applications). Select All Tab in the top next to Running, Downloaded etc. Select WhatsApp application in there, then tap Clear Data. Tap Clear Cache and then Uninstall it.

Now, on your S3, open WhatsApps, Menu, select Settings, select Chat settings and select [Backup conversations].

Then connect the the S3 to your PC, open My Computer > Phone > sdcard folder. You can find the WhatsApp folder in there. Copy that WhatsApp folder from there and paste it to your PC. Now you have the backup of your WhatsApp folder from your S3.

Now, connect your S4 to your PC, open My Computer > phone (i9500) > sdcard folder and then copy the WhatsApp folder to there from your PC.

Make sure you take out the SD card before doing these steps. Then install WhatsApp on your S4. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, will do that now. By the way, I uninstalled whatsapp without clearing is that a problem? I only had one chat in there.

No. Try it and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thx

No Problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I back up whatsapp it says: "Creating a back up on your internal shared storage" and so when I connect my S3 to the PC, there are no whatsapp messages backed up. What to do?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I back up whatsapp on my S3 it says: "Creating a back up on your internal shared storage", as if it does not recognize my exteranl SD card, how come? and so when I connect my S3 to the PC, there are no whatsapp messages backed up.

PS I just got this SD card yesterday from a friend to back up whatsapp, never used it before.

Sorry for the delay Pateel. When you open the phone in My Computer, do you see the SD card (might have another name) in there ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes i see the sd card but no whatsapp could it be from the card? Maybe i should buy a new one

No, if the SD Card is not working WhatsApp is supposed to be backup in the Internal memory. Did you checked both Internal and External memory of your phone from your PC for the WhatsApp folder ?

Open your S3 in My Computer. From the resulting window, select phone memory, and can you see the WhatsApp folder in there ?

If not, open the sdcard folder in there and can you see WhatsApp folder ?
Pateel, just checking...how is it going ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, how do you check the internal memory?

Internal memory is the Phone memory. When you open your Phone (i9300) in My Computer, you can find both phone memory and external sd card. The WhatsApp data should be any one of those.

Did you searched both two ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh ok give me two minutes thx

Take your time. If you can find a folder named sdcard in the Phone memory and SD card memory, make sure to search there too for the WhatsApp folder.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thx. Will let you know what happens.

If you find any files or folder related to WhatsApp, copy those to the same location of your S4. And make sure WhatsApp is uninstalled from the S4 before transferring the files.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, this is strange. I found a whatsapp folder in the internal memory, and it has the following folders:

Backups, databases, media and profile pictures. None of them have the conversations in them. I found images, audio, video, but no conversations. ???

The conversations are stored in the database. I think you won't be able to read them directly from there. They can be only read by WhatsApp application. Copy that entire WhatsApp folder to the same location on your S4. Then install WhatsApp on your S4. Open WhatsApp and when it ask to restore, click Restore or Yes or OK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can I copy to folder to my pc and then copy it from pc to S4? Right now, I only have one USB cable

Yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok

Good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thx

You're welcome :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You're the best Ashik, it worked:) Thx a lot.

I'm very glad to hear that Pateel. Glad I could help you :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Have a great day,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Another android question for you today on my sony xperia tablet z

I am trying to make the sim card work and I wad told where the imei feature is (international mobile engineering identification) can you help?

Pateel

Hi Pateel, What happens when you put SIM on it ? Doesn't your Tablet recognize it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually we are trying to make the tablet recognize the sim card so we need the imei

On your Tab, goto Settings > About Tablet (Phone) and you can find the IMIE there. I don't understand why you need IMIE to get the SIM card working. All you have to do is, put the SIM on it and your Tablet should recognize it.
You can also find the IMIE on the bottom the device. See picture below;
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow ur right:) btw in lebanon when we want to use our sim card on a new device we have ti officially regiser them thats why I need the imie # thx again

Ahh...Ok. I didn't know about that. Thank You :)

Have a great day,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thx u too

You're most welcome Pateel :)