Ashik, Android Tech
Experience:  Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
16433418

Hi I am trying to copy my whatsapp chats from my old android

Customer Question

Hi
I am trying to copy my whatsapp chats from my old android galaxy S3 to my new galaxy S4 using an external SC card, but it's not working. My S3 does not seem to have an internal memory card. I have MobileGo and Kies can I use one of them for this step?
Pateel
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have an SD Card with you ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ashik,

yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Great ! First, we can try to transfer using the SD Card. Before that, if you've installed WhatsApp on your S4, delete or uninstall it.

Then on your S3, open WhatsApp, open WhatsApps menu, select Settings, select Chat settings and select [Backup conversations].

This will backup your chat history on the SD Card. Now, take out the SD Card from the S3 and put it on your S4. Then install WhatsApp from Play Store. While installing it will automatically ask you to restore the chats from the SD Card, so hit Yes or OK.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can transfer using your PC.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried that yesterday it did not work. I will try again now. But before I do, does it matter which phone the sim card is in?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No, it doesn't matter.

Are you using a Windows PC ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, windows 7. And I have MobileGo and Kies
If it's easy, let's try the pc way

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Connect your S3 to your PC. Open My Computer. Do you see your S3 listed in there ? It should be in the bottom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok wait

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You mean in MobileGo?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No, in My Computer. Can you see your phone name in there ? It should be like i9300 or something like that with a phone icon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open it and what do you see ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see the phone word and 9.3GB out of 11.1GB used

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open that, can you see a folder named sdcard in there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did yesterday, but now it's in my new phone, shall I put it in my old phone now?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you copied that SD card folder from your old phone to new phone ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see what you're trying to do. Give me 5 minutes and let me backup whatsapp chats on my S3 to the SD card, and then connect my S3 to the PC and show you what the SD card says. Can you wait?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sure, but try this first. On your S4, goto Settings > Applications (or Manage Applications). Select All Tab in the top next to Running, Downloaded etc. Select WhatsApp application in there, then tap Clear Data. Tap Clear Cache and then Uninstall it.

Now, on your S3, open WhatsApps, Menu, select Settings, select Chat settings and select [Backup conversations].

Then connect the the S3 to your PC, open My Computer > Phone > sdcard folder. You can find the WhatsApp folder in there. Copy that WhatsApp folder from there and paste it to your PC. Now you have the backup of your WhatsApp folder from your S3.

Now, connect your S4 to your PC, open My Computer > phone (i9500) > sdcard folder and then copy the WhatsApp folder to there from your PC.

Make sure you take out the SD card before doing these steps. Then install WhatsApp on your S4. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, will do that now. By the way, I uninstalled whatsapp without clearing is that a problem? I only had one chat in there.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No. Try it and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thx

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No Problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I back up whatsapp it says: "Creating a back up on your internal shared storage" and so when I connect my S3 to the PC, there are no whatsapp messages backed up. What to do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I back up whatsapp on my S3 it says: "Creating a back up on your internal shared storage", as if it does not recognize my exteranl SD card, how come? and so when I connect my S3 to the PC, there are no whatsapp messages backed up.

PS I just got this SD card yesterday from a friend to back up whatsapp, never used it before.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay Pateel. When you open the phone in My Computer, do you see the SD card (might have another name) in there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes i see the sd card but no whatsapp could it be from the card? Maybe i should buy a new one

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No, if the SD Card is not working WhatsApp is supposed to be backup in the Internal memory. Did you checked both Internal and External memory of your phone from your PC for the WhatsApp folder ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Open your S3 in My Computer. From the resulting window, select phone memory, and can you see the WhatsApp folder in there ?

If not, open the sdcard folder in there and can you see WhatsApp folder ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Pateel, just checking...how is it going ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry, how do you check the internal memory?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Internal memory is the Phone memory. When you open your Phone (i9300) in My Computer, you can find both phone memory and external sd card. The WhatsApp data should be any one of those.

Did you searched both two ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh ok give me two minutes thx

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Take your time. If you can find a folder named sdcard in the Phone memory and SD card memory, make sure to search there too for the WhatsApp folder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thx. Will let you know what happens.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If you find any files or folder related to WhatsApp, copy those to the same location of your S4. And make sure WhatsApp is uninstalled from the S4 before transferring the files.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, this is strange. I found a whatsapp folder in the internal memory, and it has the following folders:

Backups, databases, media and profile pictures. None of them have the conversations in them. I found images, audio, video, but no conversations. ???

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The conversations are stored in the database. I think you won't be able to read them directly from there. They can be only read by WhatsApp application. Copy that entire WhatsApp folder to the same location on your S4. Then install WhatsApp on your S4. Open WhatsApp and when it ask to restore, click Restore or Yes or OK
Ashik, Android Tech
Experience: Personal Experience with many Android devices and versions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can I copy to folder to my pc and then copy it from pc to S4? Right now, I only have one USB cable

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Good luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thx

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You're the best Ashik, it worked:) Thx a lot.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm very glad to hear that Pateel. Glad I could help you :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Have a great day,
Ashik, Android Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Another android question for you today on my sony xperia tablet z

I am trying to make the sim card work and I wad told where the imei feature is (international mobile engineering identification) can you help?

Pateel

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pateel, What happens when you put SIM on it ? Doesn't your Tablet recognize it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Actually we are trying to make the tablet recognize the sim card so we need the imei

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
On your Tab, goto Settings > About Tablet (Phone) and you can find the IMIE there. I don't understand why you need IMIE to get the SIM card working. All you have to do is, put the SIM on it and your Tablet should recognize it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You can also find the IMIE on the bottom the device. See picture below;
graphic
Ashik, Android Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wow ur right:) btw in lebanon when we want to use our sim card on a new device we have ti officially regiser them thats why I need the imie # thx again

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ahh...Ok. I didn't know about that. Thank You :)

Have a great day,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thx u too

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome Pateel :)