Richard , Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

My wifes ASUS TF101 was working fine. It has a charge.

My wife's ASUS TF101 was working fine. It has a charge. But it has stopped booting up. When we turn on the on button, the screen goes slightly purple. We also hear a slight "click" sound. But nothing else happens.

I've tried pressing down the on button for 12 seconds. That didn't work. I tried a hard restart.....30 seconds pressing the on button, followed by pressing it again for 3 seconds. Nothing....

Please help us. What can we do to get this running. She loves it....and misses it.

Chuck
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

When you held the power button for 30 seconds, did you have the charger disconnected?

And whereabouts on the Kindle, are you hearing the clicking?

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Charger was not connected.

Internal click....seems to emanate from end opposite on/off button

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, that's where the internal power supply is located Chuck.

I am not going to mislead you, but the power supply is shorting, and it is only getting a very small amount of power out, which will slightly charge the screen, but it will not proceed from there.

This is hardware related, not the firmware.

Can I ask please, how old is the Kindle Chuck?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

About two years. It is not a Kindle. It is an ASUS TF101

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I saw, it was a typo sorry Chuck.

Where did you purchase it from as the warranty can be dependent on the place of purchase? And, was it within or outside of two years? This is important as most are either one or Two years maximum.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Son purchased it from Best Buy. Don't have any info on warranty.

The sound is coming from the speakers....more of a pop.....after about 10 seconds. A slight click eventually follows. The more I listen, the more it seems to be coming from the lower middle of the tablet.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, that can be a capacitor on the mainboard.

The pop is when it shorts out as it cannot hold the voltage.

But Chuck, Best Buy do not give 2 years, only 1.

This I know.

And you are not going to be able to get this repaired (they do not sell the mainboards seperatly.

These are always very hard questions to answer... but you need to replace it. The problem with these devices is, they are made to be disposed, only the screen can be repaired (when it is cracked) as these are just Glass. The models change so fast, that stocking parts for replacement is a) not economically feasible, and b) the repair cost is too high. It is cheaper for them, when warranties are done, to just replacement them.

this is actually why I advise on Tablets to get a extended warranty. You will use it for at least 3 years, so you will want a warranty to extend this long.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but with these devices, when such a hardware issues occurs, it is either a warranty replacement, or to purchase a new one.

Firmware issues are fixable, no issue with this, but hardware, on these devices, outside of the screen being cracked, is not sorry.

But if I can assist you with anything else at all, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You're right. It's not the answer I want to hear. Could the problem be in the external charging device? Or is the tablet definitely "junk"?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Its the Tablet,

It would not make any sound and you see nothing on the screen.

After 5 years, I pick the issues with these devices easily from the symptons.

A faulty charger you get nothing at all, no charge, no lights.

Sorry Chuck