Nick H.
Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience:  Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop

Galaxy SII getting Unknown error by ErrorCallback Flash does

Galaxy SII getting Unknown error by ErrorCallback Flash does not appear to work
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcomed to JustAnswer.com.

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your Android issues.

What app or tool do you use to get this error? And when did you get that error?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I used the camera on the Samsung Galaxy S2 (the 8MB one). When I take a photo after the click I get that error message displayed. However the camera that faces the user does work. The video does work I can record a video which makes me think it is a software problem. I tried a software update but it did not fix the problem.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard.

Please do a quick reset on your phone as follow:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Applications ->Manage Applications or Apps
  3. Select All (Look for ALL on top menu or swipe left to go right to ALL)
  4. Select Camera and tap Clear Data.
  5. Go back to All and select Google Services Framework.
  6. Select Clear Data.
  7. Turn off (shut down) your phone and turn it back on.
  8. Open Camera and test to see if you will see that error.

IMPORTANT: Please remember that I am not getting credit until you rate my answer 3 rating or higher. You are rating my service, not site-issues or the outcome/nature of this question.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions or your issue is not resolved, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Followed you instructions but still getting the same error message "Unknown error by ErrorCallback

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard.

Just to confirm, the normal camera will give you error. However, the user facing camera still works fine?

Please go to Play Store and download FxCamera app. Use it to see if you will get the same error with that app. Just a way to test if the issue is the camera or the Camera app.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Loaded the App but still does not take picture, it clicks but does not save the photo. But it does work the user facing camera. Flash does not seem to work.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard.

Unfortunately, that seems to be an error with hardware. Your Camera is not working.

When and where did you purchase your phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I purchased it beginning of March 2012

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard.

It seems that your phone is out of warranty. However, you can give it a try and call Samsung Support and ask to see if they can repair your phone.

Else you will need to bring your phone to a local phone repair shop and replace the camera hardware piece. Usually this will cost about $60-$100 depends on local rates.

Nick

Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience: Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The funny or strange thing is that it still records video. I cannot recall having dropped the phone and the flash works as I have just installed a Flashlight apps and it lights up.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Richard,

You can try to reset your phone back to Factory Settings. Before reset, please connect your phone to computer to backup photos, videos, and other files.

Here are the steps to backup your Contacts to SD:

To export:

1. Go to Contacts.
  2. Press Menu button and select Import/Export
  3. Select Export to SD card. Your contacts will copied to SD under a vcf file.

To import:

1. Go to Contacts.
  3. Select Import from SD card. Your contacts will be imported from SD file.

To backup your SMS text messages:

1. Go to Google Play and download SMS Backup & Restore app.
  2. Open this app. Tap 3 dots button on top right corner and select Preferences.
  3. Tap Backup Folder.
  4. Change the folder to External Storage Card.
  5. When done, tap Backup button. This will save your contacts to External SD card.

To import your SMS messages back:
  1. Open SMS Backup & Restore app.
  2. Tap Restore button.
  3. Select the file and click Restore. Your SMS messages will be restored.

After all backed up, reset your phone and test your camera again:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Privacy or Backup & Reset
  3. Select Factory data reset
  4. Select Reset phone
  5. Select Erase everything
  6. Your phone will reset which will take about 2-3 minutes.
  7. Set it up again.
  8. Test your camera issue if it is resolved or still have the same issue.

Please let me know how this worked out. Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will try it tomorrow have to go out now. Thank anyway will let you know the outcome

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Sure Richard. Hope to hear back from you soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nick, It never rain but it pours. Got round and followed your instructions but I am still getting the same error. The video still works and so does the camera that faces me. Its got to be a hardware problem

I bought this camera in the duty free in Bangkok airport and when I reset the phone it went back to Thai, a pain to get it back to English

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Richard,

Please do the following steps to change it back to English:

1. Left menu button
  2. Select Cog (Settings)
  3. Select Block with "A" (Locale and text)
  4. Select First option (Language)
  5. Select your Prefer Language from the list.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nick I've already done so, the trouble was that Thai characters are very different I used the icons to get around.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Richard,

Click HERE to see a different way to enter Settings and change language.
Nick H., Android Specialist