Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I am trying to figure out how to "COPY UPDATE PACKAGE TO STORAGE

Customer Question

I am trying to figure out how to "COPY UPDATE PACKAGE TO STORAGE CARD" on my ZTE Merit Android phone...I have NO ROOM on this phone, and, from what I've read online, I need this update package to allow my cell phone more storage...taking it off of the phone's internal storage and onto my 32GB SD card. Help!
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Richard, I will do whatever I can to provide you with excellent service and answer your questions!

Can you tell me what this package is called please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have discovered through Straight Talk Service that I can free up storage space on my cellular phone if I "copy an update package to image directory on storage card, then click ok" -- and that doing this will erase all data from my phone's internal storage and will then store it all on my SD card.

But I can't figure out how to do this...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, go to the Google Play Store

Download a free app called OI File Manager

Run it and it will allow you to copy files to the SD Card.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I have downloaded the OI File Manager app. Now what?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Run it and copy this file to the SD Card

It is a file Explorer like the one in windows for copying files.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I have moved it from phone to SD card. What now?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Tap it and run this file please Kathy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've switched it to SD card under my applications settings, but it is not showing up under running applications. I'm not sure what you're asking me to do.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The file, in OI File Manager, Tap it to run it please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I've tapped it...there is a Home icon, an mnt and an SD icon...and files under each one...No option to tap that reads "run"

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Kathy

you copied th file in OI Manager to the SD card correct?

Than tap that file
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand what you are asking me AT ALL. I downloaded the OI File Manager app...it downloaded and was sent automatically to SD card. My only option under Manage Applications is "move to phone" -- I don't want to do that, right?

What are you asking me to do??

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, open OI File Manager

We will do this step by step

Tell me when you have and what you see

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I have gone to my main apps screen and tapped on OI File Manager.

I have opened it. I see a list of files similar to my preloaded Docs To Go and Filer apps on my phone.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, now do you see this update package that you want to run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. I've never seen one. I have no idea what ZTE or Straight Talk is talking about...but I need to put it on my SD card's image directory. I thought that's what you and I were doing?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No... I have never heard of this package, I am only helpinng you run a file...

But I cannot comprehend how a file will make more space, this to me made no sense, but I did not want to inform you as I though you had this file ect..

Do you want me to tell you how you reduce space the proper way?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YES!! I have almost 30GB free on my SD card but NO ROOM AT ALL on this stupid phone!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, this is all you can do to free room

Go to Settings, Applications, Applications Manager

Go through each app and move to SD Card. Not all apps can, so if you do no see it, it cannot be moved.

Uninstall apps that cannot be moved

Keep text messages to a minimum as this uses internal memory

This is all you can do Kathy to free up the internal memory,

Ths phone (with all due respect) is disspointing as it has small internal memory which causes a lot of headaches. and this is the only way to free it up.

If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can please Rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you