Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

My Sony Xperia P died and I want to open the backup file of

My Sony Xperia P died and I want to open the backup file of contacts (.dbk fle opened as a zip file). The contacts are in Hebrew but they show in gibberish. The unzipped file name is fullbackupdata. without any extension.

Category: Android Devices
Expert:  csfischer20 replied 1 year ago.

csfischer20 :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX i'm going to help you out with your email import

csfischer20 :

what program are you using for your emails?

csfischer20 :

if it is outlook, right click the file and select rename

csfischer20 :

I would call it email.pst

csfischer20 :

pst is the extension that outlook will recognize

csfischer20 :

is that where you are trying to import to?

csfischer20 :

I know this is sony's proprietary file

csfischer20 :

DBK files may be decompressed using a file decompression tool, such as Corel WinZip. They may include a .VCF contacts file named contacts.vcf.

NOTE: To decompress a DBK file, rename the file extension to ".zip" and open it with a .ZIP file decompression utility.

Customer:

I unzipped the dbk file and there is no .vcf files there, only files called fullbackupdata

csfischer20 :

ok

csfischer20 :

go ahead and change the extension of that one to .zip as well, but do a copy of it first

Customer:

doesn't open as a zip file

csfischer20 :

ok.. I won't waste your time

csfischer20 :

i will opt out of here and let someone else pick this up

csfischer20 :

Have a great day and someone else will be with you shortly.

Customer:

thank you very much

Expert:  VikingSean replied 1 year ago.

Please try the instructions on this link and let me know what issues you have or run into viewing your contacts ---> http://www.ehow.com/how_8756062_dbk-files.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I specifically stated that I already opened the dbk file. The link you sent me only says how to do what I did already.

Expert:  VikingSean replied 1 year ago.

I understand. Let me opt-out and another expert more familiar with .dbk files will be available to help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,

Thank you for your question and your time today.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would prefer you explain how to solve the problem.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I can give you the instructions that you already have and that the previous experts have given you, if you wish.

I offered the remote, as a favor to you.

I am not pushing the remote option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you know how to read the fullbackupdata file?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If I did not, I would not waste either of our time by posting here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I open it?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You have the instructions.

I will opt out now.

Another will continue with you.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Rachel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much. I'm going to sleep now and I'll check in again in around 10 hours.

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Rachel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am available again now off and on. If noone solves my problem do I get my money back?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to provide you with excellent service and answer your questions!

How big is the backup file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2.12MB

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can I look at the file dirctly?

If so, upload to www.ge.tt and provide me the download link please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Uploaded to http://ge.tt/2woxvwY/v/0?c

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

Check the file. It only backed up your Apps Settings, no Contacts are in it.

Do you have another Backup File?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the zip file there are several directories. The one called com.sonyericsson.android.socialphonebook should have the contacts.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but for this you have to have the Xperia to restore to.

They cannot be restored on the computer. Normally you would also have the vcf files, but you do not.

Do you have an xperia available?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello

I checked myself, the backup is empty, you can also see it by seeing the size as 9K (this is the size it starts as for blank backup)

Have you gone to www.gmail.com and logged in with the same account you used on the phone?

Your contacts should be synched there (click the red gmail top left and choose contacts)

Can you check there please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll do that soon. Meanwhile I will mention that I plan to give you a high rating, I see I finally found someone who knows what he's doing.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

There is a good chance they are in Gmail.

In the future, install an app called Super Backup. This is what you want to use for backing up

If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can please Rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Android Specialist
Experience: Android Systems Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I find a different backup somewhere on the computer can I send it to you to open? If so, how do I get back to you?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no problem, just come to this web page and make a message

You do not need to pay again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I managed to fix the phone enough to get the numbers out. Thank you very much. I gave you excellent rating.