Nick H.
Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience:  Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop
63271161

I have a samsung galaxy S3 and i cannot make or receive calls

Customer Question

I have a samsung galaxy S3 and i cannot make or receive calls or send or receive sms's as it says 'not registered on server'. I have checked the sim card in another phone and it is not the sim card. What do I do to resolve this?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcomed to JustAnswer.com.

My name is Nick. I will assist you with your Android issues.

Is your Galaxy S3 phone UNLOCKED? Or is it the same Provider as your SIM card?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I bought it as an unlocked phone. The SIM card is for a certain provider. I can use the data portion of the sim card great, it is just calls and sms's that i cannot use

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your info.

If you can use data, then it should work.

Please go to Settings->More. Select/check the box Airplane Mode. Wait for 30 seconds. Uncheck Airplane Mode box. Now you should see signal bar. Try to call or text.

Let me know how it went. Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope didn't work. Still saying 'not registered on network'.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

Please do a quick reset on your phone as follow:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Apps
  3. Select All (Look for ALL on top menu or swipe to the right to get to ALL)
  4. Select Network Locations and tap Clear Data.
  5. Go back to All and select Google Services Framework.
  6. Select Clear Data.
  7. Turn off (shut down) your phone and turn it back on.
  8. Try to call or text. See if it will go through or still have same issue.

IMPORTANT: Please remember that I am not getting credit until you rate my answer 3 rating or higher. You are rating my service, not site-issues or the outcome/nature of this question.

Please let me know if this answer will work out. If does not work or you have any questions or concerns, PLEASE DO NOT RATE MY ANSWER YET! Reply to me by clicking on the Reply to Expert button so we can continue to work on this issue.

Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did that it didnt work. I still cannot make a call.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your update.

Next step is to call the SIM provider and ask for the network unlock code. They should be able to help you with the code and the steps to unlock the SIM card.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The SIM card is not locked as it works perfectly in other phones. It is something on the phone.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Roberta.

Please remove battery and SIM card out for 10 minutes. Put them back and see if your phone will detect the network and be able to make/receive calls.

If not, your phone might NOT be UNLOCKED. Please test your phone with another working SIM card. See if your phone can use that SIM card.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for the poor rating but none of your suggestions worked and I have had to take the phone in to a Samsung customer care centre. Thanks for trying though.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your update.

Please tell me what they had to do. Did they unlock or exchange the SIM card? Or other method? I would love to learn about this issue.

Thank you!

Nick