Nick H.
Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience:  Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop

My wife dropped her Samsung Galaxy s3 now the screen will black

My wife dropped her Samsung Galaxy s3 now the screen will black out randomly. All the sounds still work and the buttons light up. If I remove the battery and put it back in it will work perfect again until the screen blacks out again. Any idea how I can fix this.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcomed to JustAnswer.com.

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your Android issues.

I am sorry that your phone is having problem. If you remove battery and put it back, how long will the screen stay normal until the next time it blacks out?

When and where did you or she purchase the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is asking for this again so here it is. We bought it at the mall Verizon store. She got it 27 Dec. It is random as to how long the phone will work before going black.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks David.

This could be a Hardware issue. However, let do a quick reset and see how this works out:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Apps
  3. Select All (Look for ALL on top menu or swipe to the right to get to ALL)
  4. Select Google Services Framework and tap Clear Data.
  5. Turn off (shut down) your device and turn it back on.
  6. Test the phone to see if it will black out again.

Does the phone have any physical damages?

Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The phone has blacked out and I can no longer get it to display. The only thing it does is say Samsung when I first power it up then it turns black and stays that way. Any idea?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your update David.

Please do a Hard Reboot on your phone as follow:

1. Remove battery out and put it back in.
  2. Press and hold down Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
  3. Release all buttons when Logo comes up.
  4. You will see the menu options:
  5. Select wipe data/factory reset. (Volume buttons to go up or down, select with Home or Power button).
  6. Your phone should reboot and work normally.

If that still not working, we will have to reset the phone back to Factory Settings. This reset will erase all data on the phone.

4. You will see the menu options:
  5. Select wipe data/factory reset. (Volume buttons to go up or down, select with Home or Power button)
  6. Select Yes — delete all user data.
  7. Finally, select Reboot system now.
  8. Your phone will reboot and go through setup steps.

Please let me know how it went. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I went with the reset I will let you know how this works in a bit.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It seems to be working fine thanks for all the help.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Excellent David.

Glad I could help out. Please rate my answer so I can get credit.

Have a great day!
Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience: Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop