Nick H.
Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience:  Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop

How do i fix the error 497 that has been stopping me from downloading

Customer Question

How do i fix the error 497 that has been stopping me from downloading apps and has slowed my cell downloads to a crawl?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcomed to JustAnswer.com,

My name is Nick. I will assist you with your Android issues.

I am sorry that your phone is having problem with downloading apps. When did you have this problem?

What is your phone make and model?

Is your phone using Wifi when downloading apps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Samsung galaxy proclaim. Straight talk phone.do you need the SN?
This has been happening for about 5 days.
No wifi.
I have had this phone for almost 6 weeks. all the apps, videos, and down lo loads i have been doing to that point were very fast.
I googled 'error 497' and could find anyone that new how to fix it. because of resetting the phone to factory setting, i lost all the apps that i had already downloaded.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jerry for your info.

IMPORTANT: Please remember that I am not getting credit until you rate my answer 3 rating or higher. You are rating my service, not site-issues or the outcome/nature of this question.

Please do the following steps to reset your phone:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Applications ->Manage Applications or Apps
  3. Select All (Look for ALL on top menu or swipe to the right to get to ALL)
  4. Select Google Play Store
  5. Tap Force Stop and tap Uninstall updates.
  6. Go back to All and select Google Services Framework.
  7. Select Clear Data.
  8. Turn off (shut down) your device and turn it back on.
  9. Open Play Store and see if you can log into your account and download apps again.
  10. If it does not work, please try to connect your phone to home wifi or public wifi to run Play Store.

Please let me know if this answer will work out. If not, PLEASE DO NOT RATE MY ANSWER YET! Reply to me by clicking on the Reply to Expert button so we can continue to work on this issue.

Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have finnished your instuctions. i am trying to down words with friends. it is still downloading at a snails pace. Like i said earlier. i have reset the cell to factory setting. both soft and hard. I will never have wifi. my phone was working great with out wifi. and was fast. my down is at 2% in the time that i have been gettng messange ready. Now at 5%
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jerry.

Please wait until the app is installed, then shutdown your phone. Wait for a minute. Turn it back on and try to download other apps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did everything. shut it down. restarted it. the app only made it to 7% before "sorry...error 497". And the downloads speed is snail slow. This just make any sence. i have plenty of memory space on the phone and the sd chip. cant be memory. one i dont understand is where the apps go and why cant the be put on the sd chip enstead of the cells memory. it is still not fixed
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jerry.

You will need to connect your phone to wifi and download only couple apps. Then switch off wifi and use your data. I have seen this issue before. Switching to wifi and back to data should resolve this error and download speed.

Please test with your phone and let me know how it went. Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have wifi where i live. but i will turn on the wifi and see what happens. Well. stopped at 12% This time. could it be the the memory? I had 4 to 5 bars with with the 3g symble on. what about drivers?
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

If you use the Browser to surf internet, do the website load fast?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. the web seems to working fine. i use dolphin browser. i downloaded tubemate from a website. it took alittle bit longer then tje last time. but it downloaded completey.
i must fo to sleep now i will be back at around 8am to morrow. but if your not at the same time tomorrow night. i would like to figjre this out. have a great night
jerry howard
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jerry for your info and update.

When you have time, please try to reset the Download Manager as follow:

1. Go to Settings
  4. Select Download Manager
  5. Tap Force Stop and tap Clear data.
  6. Go back to All and select Google Play Services.
  7. Select Clear Data.
  9. Open Play Store and see if you can log into your account and download apps normally.