Nick H.
Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience:  Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop
63271161

My Samsung Galaxy S3 has started turning itself off

Customer Question

My Samsung Galaxy S3 has started turning itself off and then back on again. It stays on for about 15 seconds, and then turns off again. It keeps repeating the cycle.

Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

Welcomed to JustAnswer.com, When did this problem start?

First try to remove the battery for 10 minutes. Put it back and try to turn on your phone. See if it will work normally or still have the same problem.

If not working, connect your phone to computer and see if you can sync your contacts and data to your computer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The problem started last night when I started charging the phone (it was at around 8%)

I have taken the battery out, will leave it for 10 minutes and get back to you!

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

When you put back the battery, please connect your phone to computer to charge. Turn it on and see if it will switch off again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've now inserted the battery and connected to my computer. It shows that it’s charging but still continues to turn itself off and on; it seems to be staying on longer.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

Do you need your contacts and data on the phone?

If yes, please try to sync the phone to Kies. If you do not have Kies on your computer, click HERE to download and install Kies. When done, open Kies and connect your phone to computer and sync your contacts, SMS and data to Kies. We will need to reset your phone after this is done.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm just updating Kies as I don’t often use it. Will it allow me to sync even if the phone keeps turning on/off?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

Since your phone is turning off and on, it is best to sync contacts and SMS first. Then sync your photos and videos. Then sync the reset.

When all done, please do the following reset on your phone:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Apps
  3. Select All (Look for ALL on top menu or swipe to the right to get to ALL)
  4. Select Media Storage and tap Clear Data.
  5. Go back to All and select Google Services Framework.
  6. Select Clear Data.
  7. Turn off your device and turn it back on.
  8. Test your issue to see if it will turn off and on again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am struggling to sync as it seems to lose connection every time the phone turns off?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

On your phone, please quickly save your Contacts to SD card and do a reset as follow:

Here are the steps to backup your Contacts to SD:

To export:

1. Go to Contacts.
  2. Press Menu or 3dots button and select Import/Export
  3. Select Export to SD card. Your contacts will copy to SD under a vcf file.

To import:

1. Go to Contacts.
  2. Press Menu button or 3dots and select Import/Export
  3. Select Import from SD card. Your contacts will be imported from SD file.

Let the phone turn off. Turn it back on and do this reset. Note: this might clear your photos and files if they are NOT on your SD card but on the internal memory.

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Applications ->Manage Applications or Apps
  6. Select Clear Data.
  8. Test your issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It doesn't give me the option to export to a SD card, only SIM card?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

You do not have SD card on your phone?

Or you can connect the phone to computer and try to sync contacts and SMS first. For photos, go to Computer/My Computer. Double click on the Phone and try to move to your Desktop folder.

So a new battery does not make a difference?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately I lost my SD card on holiday and didn't get round to replacing it!I can connect to my laptop but each time the phone turns off it disconnects, the same as with Kies Presumably if it cannot be resolved I will have to send back to Samsung?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

We will need to do couple reset. Then a Factory Reset to determine if this is hardware or software issue. Most likely it’s a hardware issue. However, you need to back up your contacts and other data on your phone first before doing any reset.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately I cannot back up as I cannot snyc, as each time the phone turns off it stops the connection!

I will buy a new sd card and try and back up as much info whilst the phone is on for the 15 seconds each time

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

Please bookmark this page. Save to your Favorites /Bookmarks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.