Nick H.
Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience:  Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop
63271161

Hi, my Samsung Galaxy S3 has started turning itself off and

Customer Question

Hi, my Samsung Galaxy S3 has started turning itself off and then back on again. It stays on for about 15 seconds, then turns off again. It keeps repeating the cycle. Help please!!!!
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcomed to JustAnswer.com,

My name is Nick. I will assist you with your Android issues.

I am sorry that your phone is having problem.

When did this problem start?

First try to remove the battery for 10 minutes. Put it back and try to turn on your phone. See if it will work normally or still have the same problem.

If not working, connect your phone to computer and see if you can sync your contacts and data to your computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nick

The problem started last night when I started chraging the phone (it was at around 8%)

I have taken the battery out, will leave it for 10 mins and get back to you!

Regards, Dee

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Sure Dee.

When you put back the battery, please connect your phone to computer to charge. Turn it on and see if it will switch off again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've now inserted the battery and connected to my computer. It shows that its charging but still continues to turn itself off and on, it seems to be staying on longer (I think!)

Very frustrating!

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dee.

Do you need your contacts and data on the phone?

If yes, please try to sync the phone to Kies. If you do not have Kies on your computer, click HERE to download and install Kies. When done, open Kies and connect your phone to computer and sync your contacts, SMS and data to Kies. We will need to reset your phone after this is done.

Please reply to me by click on the Reply to Expert button. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm just updating Kies as I dont often use it. Will it allow me to sync even if the phone keeps turning on/off?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Dee,

IMPORTANT: Please remember that I am not getting credit until you rate my answer 3 rating or higher. You are rating my service, not site-issues or the outcome/nature of this question.

Since your phone is turning of and on, it is best to sync contacts and SMS first. Then sync your photos and videos. Then sync the reset.

When all done, please do the following reset on your phone:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Apps
  3. Select All (Look for ALL on top menu or swipe to the right to get to ALL)
  4. Select Media Storage and tap Clear Data.
  5. Go back to All and select Google Services Framework.
  6. Select Clear Data.
  7. Turn off your device and turn it back on.
  8. Test your issue to see if it will turn off and on again.

Please let me know if this answer will work out. If not, PLEASE DO NOT RATE MY ANSWER YET! Reply to me by clicking on the Reply to Expert button so we can continue to work on this issue.

If my answer worked, please rate my answer GREAT SERVICE or EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credit for my time. Tips and bonus are VERY APPRECIATED! Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I am struggling to sync as it seems to lose connection every time the phone turns off???

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Dee,

On your phone, please quickly save your Contacts to SD card and do a reset as follow:

Here are the steps to backup your Contacts to SD:

To export:

1. Go to Contacts.
  2. Press Menu or 3dots button and select Import/Export
  3. Select Export to SD card. Your contacts will copied to SD under a vcf file.

To import:

1. Go to Contacts.
  2. Press Menu button or 3dots and select Import/Export
  3. Select Import from SD card. Your contacts will be imported from SD file.

Let the phone turn off. Turn it back on and do this reset. Note: this might clear your photos and files if they are NOT on your SD card but on the internal memory.

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Applications ->Manage Applications or Apps
  6. Select Clear Data.
  8. Test your issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

It doesn't give me the option to export to a SD card, only SIM card?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Dee,

You do not have SD card on your phone?

Or you can connect the phone to computer and try to sync contacts and SMS first. For photos, go to Computer/My Computer. Double click on the Phone and try to move to your Desktop folder.

So a new battery does not make a difference?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I lost my SD card on holiday and didn't get round to replacing it!

I can connect to my laptop but each time the phone turns off it disconnects, the same as with Kies

Presumably if it cannot be resolved I will have to send back to Samsung?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Dee,

We will need to do couple reset. Then a Factory Reset to determine if this is hardware or software issue. Most likely hardware issue. However, you need to back up your contacts and other data on your phone first before doing any reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I cannot back up as I cannot snyc, as each time the phone turns off it stops the connection!

I will buy a new sd card and try and back up as much info whilst the phone is on for the 15 seconds each time

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Sure Dee. Please bookmark this page. Save to your Favorites /Bookmarks. Come back and let me know how it went. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcomed.