Engineer John C., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer
23822421

I have a samsung galaxy note. It wont connect to wifi - it

Customer Question

I have a samsung galaxy note. It won't connect to wifi - it says that the security policy restricts use of unsecure wifi networks.
Those are sometimes wifi connections I have used before and it says the same when I try and connect to a secure wifi network with a password.
Any solutions?
I shut off wifi and I also tried rebooting the phone. Nothing worked.
It worked fine since a couple days ago.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcomed to JustAnswer.com,

My name is Nick. I will assist you with your Android issues.

So your Galaxy Note worked with wifi before but now will not connect?

Please first go to Settings->Wifi settings. Tap and HOLD the wifi connection for 2-3 seconds. Select Forget option. Turn off Wifi function. Turn Wifi back on. Now try to connect and enter password. Will your phone connect to Wifi or still say the same error?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It won't even connect to any network, so I can't select the FORGET option. It keeps telling me that the security policy restricts use of unsecured wifi networks

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Inah.

IMPORTANT: Please remember that I am not getting credit until you rate my answer 3 rating or higher.You are rating my service, not site-issues or the outcome/nature of this question.

Please try to do a quick reset on your Galaxy Note:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Apps/Applications Manager->All (You will need to select ALL on top or swipe to the right)
  3. Select Network Locations
  4. Select Force Stop and Clear Data
  5. Go back to ALL and select Google Services Framework
  6. Select Clear Data.
  7. Turn your device off and back on.
  8. Test your issue again.

Please let me know if this answer will work out or you have any questions or concerns. If not, PLEASE DO NOT RATE YET! Reply to me by clicking on the Reply to Expert button so we can continue to work on this issue.

If my answer worked, please rate my answer GOOD SERVICE or EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credit for my time. Tips and bonus are VERY APPRECIATED!

Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did this and it did not work. Still the same issue.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your update.

If you disable wifi security or set security to NONE on your wifi router, will the Galaxy Note connect?

Please try to do another reset on your phone. Note: We are clearing out temp files on your device. Your internal photos, videos, and Ringtones will be ERASED. Please move/copy to SD card or to your computer before this reset.

1. Go to Settings
  3. Select Media Storage
  4. Select Clear Data
  5. Turn your Note off and back on.
  6. Test your issue again.

If that does not work, go to Wifi Settings on your Note. Select Add a network option and manually enter the SSID and password. See if it will connect. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

None of these options worked.

I don't have access to the router as I am at a hotel. Everyone else around me can use it, I can not. And I am trying to access both the public network and one that is secure and password protected.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your update.

Let me reopen your question to all experts for other suggestions. Once an expert replies, you will get email notifications from JustAnswer.com.

Thank you!
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

What's your router brand and model?

Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have access to the router as I am staying at a hotel. And I just figured out the solution on my own. I deleted most of the remembered networks (it remembers the same network as many times as you access it) and once I did that, it started working again. I travel extensively and add networks all the time and that must have been the reason.

That's great! Thank you for letting us know.