BeBoo
BeBoo, Customer Service
Experience:  Android programmer and system administrator for law firm utilizing Android devices

Hi, my galaxy s3 only shows unknown on ALL my incoming calls.

Hi, my galaxy s3 only shows unknown on ALL my incoming calls. Even when the other caller has their caller ID activated. Please help, I love the phone but this is highly annoying. When I go to call logs it still only reflects Unknown, thus I can't even call the person back or know who tried calling me.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  BeBoo replied 1 year ago.

BeBoo :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be glad to assist you with your issue today. Please note that I am in eastern time (UTC -5:00) and am generally online between the hours of 10 AM and 4 PM and some evenings between 7 PM and 11 PM.

BeBoo :

Is you Samsung on your wireless network?

Customer:

Currently yes.

BeBoo :

As a test, can you please turn the WiFi off and try calling the phone again?

Customer:

Hi Brandon, nope still says Unknown.

BeBoo :

Ok, from your Samsung, please dial this number (you don't have to hit send) and let me know what it says: *#30#

Customer:

Incoming Caller ID Service is disabled, mmm

BeBoo :

Ah ha. Ok, now dial *30# (you may have to hit send for this)

Customer:

It gives me an error: "Connection problem or invalid MMI code."

BeBoo :

Interesting. Just a sec. Which carrier are you with?

Customer:

I'm in South Africa, Vodacom.

BeBoo :

That code should have worked - that is weird. Has the caller ID ever worked?

Customer:

No, I have had the phone for almost three months now.

Customer:

I haven't used it lots as I was busy switching over from another phone and number.

BeBoo :

Ok, let's try something. From the home screen, press the menu button, then tap Settings. Tap Call, then Additional Settings. You should have a Caller ID option. Tap it and see what it says in there.

Customer:

It is only for outgoing calls, I have set my Caller ID to "Show number" before and the setting is still the same.

BeBoo :

Ah, you are correct, it is only outgoing. Sadly, I think we have exhausted all the minor stuff we can try. Have you contacted your carrier yet about this?

Customer:

I have been travelling a fair amount and will be back in my hometown this Thursday, that would be my next step as it seems to be a software issue...

BeBoo :

I would first call your carrier and see if there is something they can push to the device to fix it. If not, the next step would be a phone restore

BeBoo :

If you have a linked Google account, your contacts and data will be saved.

Customer:

Ok, I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX Vodacom can sort this out without me having to do a restore...

BeBoo :

Yeah, I would leave restoring as a last resort. Do you need steps on how to restore your device, in the event you need to?

Customer:

No I will insist that they do it in store to eliminate any errors on my part.

Customer:

Thanks for the tip on Google account.

BeBoo :

It's a pretty easy process but if you feel better having them do it, that would probably be best.

Customer:

It isn't the process that bother me, If there is anything else that goes wrong I don't want give my carrier the loop hole of being able to blame me when I want to get a resolution.

BeBoo :

I understand. :)

Customer:

Thanks for shining light on the problem area.

BeBoo :

No problem. If there is nothing else I can help you with, please be sure to rate :)

Customer:

I shall do, thanks a million.

Customer:

I'll try and keep you in the loop once the problem is resolved, to assist you with future queries.

BeBoo :

That would be great. :)

Customer:

Cheers, XXXXX XXXXX soon.

BeBoo, Customer Service
Experience: Android programmer and system administrator for law firm utilizing Android devices