Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
57442719

I have an LG optimus and am locked out. Too many pattern attempts

I have an LG optimus and am locked out. Too many pattern attempts and is asking for gmail account and pswd which that isn't working also. Now what can I do?
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions and get your problem resolved ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not the site itself, or your frustration with your device.

Unfortunately you will have to perform a reset of the device. This is the only way to get access to the device again, but its not as bad as it sounds.

As long as you have a Google account synced to your device, your contacts, calendar, etc. will be re-synced to the device after you run the initial setup again as long as you sign in with the same Google/Gmail account (as long as they were synced previously). Any apps you have paid for, you can get back after you reset the device by opening the Market, pressing Menu on the phone and choosing "My Apps".

As far as any data that is stored on the SD Card(images, music, etc.), it will not be erased. Only the phones internal memory is formatted.

To complete a Factory Reset follow these directions(This is for the original LG Optimus, if you have a different model it may be different):

1. Remove the battery.
  2. Replace the battery but do not power the device on.
  3. Hold down the Volume Down AND the Home buttons then press the Power button. Hold these buttons until your phone turns on then release the power button but contnue to hold the other two until it boots into hboot/recovery.
  4. Your phone will boot into hboot/recovery mode.
  5. Follow the instructions on screen to navigate through the options.
  6. Choose "Wipe Data / Factory Reset"
  7. Confirm your choice and wait for the device to do the rest of the work.
  8. When the device reboots, follow the on screen instructions to setup your new device.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I hold down volume and home and press power button, let go of power button and it still comes up asking for email and pswd. what next

Carmen, remove the battery and look on the phone, you will see a model # XXXXX the phone, can you give me that please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Eric,

It is LG-P970g

do you need any other number ?

Thanks Carmen. That means you have the LG Optimus Black, which is unfortunate. The LG Optimus Black, does not have a method for resetting using the hardware buttons. This is a big flaw in the phone that is documented well online through hundreds of complaints by phone owners who cannot reset their phone when they are locked out(like you).

You will need to contact your carrier to have the phone replaced, as there is literally no way to reset your phone, the way there should be and is for almost all other Android phones in existence.