Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team

My daughter had my Ematic tablet and locked it up because she

My daughter had my Ematic tablet and locked it up because she did not have the right code to unlock it. I did not have the web service turned on. What can I do to get it unlocked?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I can to help answer your questions and get your problem resolved ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not the site itself, or your frustration with your device.

I know this isn't going to be the answer you want to hear and its certainly not what I want to tell you, but the truth none the less so I feel obligated to tell you and not give you false hope.

In almost all cases like this, we have a couple options that are included as safety nets for Android Devices. When an Android Device is locked out like yours, wont work correctly, or wont boot, there is something called a Recovery Partition that we can boot into that offers us a few choices including a reset of the device. All Google Experience Devices, that are licensed to be true Android Tablets are required to have this Recovery Image present on all models. Here in-lies the problem. Your model tablet is not a Google Experience Licensed Device.

When an Android device wont boot or run correctly, there is two ways to resolve this. One, is to use the Recovery Image which we have already established your device doesnt have. The second, is more complicated as it involves flashing new firmware to the device. However, this again is a problem for your specific model as the manufacturer has not made the firmware available to anyone, so it is not possible for myself or you to flash it.

Unfortunately, when it comes to an unlicensed device such as the one you are using, when it unresponsive, or just plain wont work right, your only option is to contact the seller immediately and request a refund or an exchange. If you purchased this from any type of reputable dealer this process will be easy and you will not have any problems getting a new one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so even though it is just the security pattern that is locked there is nothing I can do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
,

Well, the problem is - if you dont know the security pattern the only way to skip it is to sign in with the synced Google Account. However, on an unlicensed device like the one you have, you do not have a synced Google account - so there is no way back in. Its the worst thing that can happen if you bought an unlicensed device Frown.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand what you mean by "unlicensed devise". I bought it thru walmart. I don't see how it would not be licensed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also I know the security pattern, my daughter didn't. But it does not go back to that screen to let me enter it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
,

If you know the pattern, and its not allowing you to get to that screen then you need to let the battery die and then charge it while its off overnight, and then turn it on the next day and it should ask you for the pattern.

To be a licensed Google Experience Device, which will always run all Android Apps and will work as intended the manufacturer has to meet specific requirements. For instance, they are required to:
  • Included certain DRM technologies (this is for media playback like Netflix, Google Movies, etc)(for licensing reasons from Media Companies)
  • Meet hardware requirements (this is so you wont get cheap products that dont work the way they should)
  • Include an official Android Recovery Partition (this is so the device can recover itself if something goes wrong)
  • Have a publicly available firmware for download
  • Pay licensing fees to use proprietary Google Apps (like the official Market, etc.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This tablet will play movies from netflix. I was also getting the message to go to google.com/accounts/recovery. I did this but could not figure out where to go from there. I thought since I did not have the tablet connected to the web services when it got locked out that I could not get any help through that.

I understand yours will play Netflix, but that doesnt change the misfortune of the tablet not having the Android Recovery Partition(which is what we would need to reset the device).

I do know that its telling you to try and "recover" your Google Account. Thats because the code in Android is telling you to do that because it "assumes" you have one synced to the device. However, with an unlicensed device the tablet doesnt have the "Google Services Framework" installed on it - so you do not have a Google account synced to the tablet.
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience: Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team