HandyAndy77
HandyAndy77, Customer Service
Experience:  Have owned and been developing apps for over 2 years for the Android platform..
27572172

have accidently deleted all my photos from my galaxy 3 when

have accidently deleted all my photos from my galaxy 3 when i found myself in format mode. i have tried stellar pheonix and the other photo recovery programme but for some reason will not work.Is there another option besides re-rooting the phone? the photos are irreplaceable!

HandyAndy77 :

Hello there. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’d be happy to assist you with your issue today.

HandyAndy77 :

Sounds to me like you kind of know what your doing but just to be clear I'll just give a few basic steps

HandyAndy77 :

first, connect the phone to your pc (i'm assuming ur running windows)

HandyAndy77 :

make sure the phone comes up as a disk drive in mycomputer

HandyAndy77 :

once it does, try using this software

HandyAndy77 :

this program has helped me out A LOT in the past

HandyAndy77 :

try running it normally the first time thru, if that fails to find anything try the deep scan option

HandyAndy77 :

hope this helps, if u have any questions please let me know!

Customer:

Hey HandyAndy,

Tanks for you help.

I have downloaded the application as advised however, the application does not detect my phone as a Mass Storage Device.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 uses MTP as a transfer protocal and not UMS. So the computer detects the device but doesn't assign it a drive letter.

I would be able to connect to my computer using UMS if i rooted my phone, but this is not an option at this stage.

Is there any other way you can think of which might assist?

HandyAndy77 :

I've confirmed what you've said. Silly that they took out the mass storage mode. My S2 has it, so incorrectly assumed the S3 would as well.

HandyAndy77 :

I've found this great article that specifies how to get the usb mode we want at the bottom. It also goes thru using stellar pheonix which you said u already tried.

HandyAndy77 :

Try to follow the steps for enabling usb mass storage mode. Thats our primary concern right now. Once thats working you can use recuva or stellar phoenix to try and recover the pics.

HandyAndy77 :

keep me posted! Hope this helps!

HandyAndy77 :

Hey there. Haven't heard from you in a couple days. Were you able to recover any of your pictures?

Customer:

hey andy, sorry for late reply, no we were not able to retrieve the photos, that was the same process we followed previously, we need root access to connect to ums. can you think of any other way around this?

Customer:

andy still have not recieved a response!

HandyAndy77 :

Hey there. Unfortunately no. You HAVE TO get the phone into mass storage mode. And the only way to do this is to install that apk file.

HandyAndy77 :

Did you get the apk file onto your phone?

HandyAndy77 :

I don't think u need root access for it. You just need to turn on the option that allows non-market apps to be installed

HandyAndy77 :

this can be found under settings > security > unknown sources

HandyAndy77 :

let me know if this helps

HandyAndy77 :

if it still won't let you install the apk file after this option is selected then maybe we do need to root

HandyAndy77 :

i should warn you, the more you use the phone, the less chance you have of getting the pictures back.

Customer:

hey andy,

Customer:

hey andy, as previously triedi downloaded apk file to phone but it ums mode would not initiate.

Customer:

what are your thoughts on re rooting the phone?

HandyAndy77 :

Hey there.

HandyAndy77 :

Actually was helping someone out with the exact same problem today

HandyAndy77 :

deleted photos on an S3

HandyAndy77 :

they were able to root, problem was there pc was running xp, which didn't seem to want to pickup the usb mass storage enabled S3

HandyAndy77 :

what operating system is your pc running?

Customer:

hey mate, we are running xp but friend has also home pc with windows 7 and has same phone same problem.

HandyAndy77 :

alright one more thing

HandyAndy77 :

need your version of the s3

HandyAndy77 :

to get that go to settings > about phone > model number

Customer:

model # XXXXX -19300T

HandyAndy77 :

alright

Customer:

android 4.0.4

HandyAndy77 :

hold on while i find those rooting instructions

HandyAndy77 :

here, this seems like a straight forward method

HandyAndy77 :

theres so many out there

Customer:

thanks andy, Im not the most gifted technically i have had the asistance of my I.T. guy at work whom shares the same phone. appreciate your help. fingers crossed.

HandyAndy77 :

alright, well keep me posted

HandyAndy77 :

also, once rooted, you will also need to install busybox to have the easy UMS program work

Customer:

cool thanks. let you know how it goes.

HandyAndy77 :

k great, goodluck