James, Sr. Android Expert
Experience:  Vast experience supporting and servicing Android smartphones and tablets.
24111805

My Android phone is set on "emergency calls only" mode. I cannot

My Android phone is set on "emergency calls only" mode. I cannot get it off this mode. I have tried turning the phone off then back on, removing the battery while the phone is off then reinserting it, and removing the battery while the phone is on and reinserting it. Nothing has worked.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Remove the SIM card from the phone, clean the contacts and re-insert it. What happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do i clean the contacts? I have removed the sim card

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Simply wipe it with a soft cloth, and put it back. Any change?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no none

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Did this SIM card ever work in your location?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it usually does. I thought this was a battery problem and not a problem with the sim card

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
No, this is a problem with the SIM card. The phone defaults to emergency mode when it cannot detect the SIM card, or when the SIM card reports the account is not valid.
You need to contact your provider and have them check the account. The SIM card might need replacing, which they will do for you free of charge.

Please remember to rate my service using the faces below.
If you feel unsatisfied with my service at all, please stop, DO NOT RATE and reply to me via the REPLY tab with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue our discussion and do everything I can to provide you with the excellent service you seek.

Thank you!

James.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Wait.... I cannot contact my provider because I cannot make calls on my phone because it is in emergency mode.

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
I understand - what I meant is that you need to contact them from any other phone. While the phone is in emergency mode you cannot use to call your provider.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, is there anything else you might recommend before I go and hunt down another phone?

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
I would love to - but there is really nothing else to do. The SIM card is telling the phone to go into emergency mode, because the SIM or account is not valid - only your provider can fix this for you.

Hope this makes sense!

J.
James, Sr. Android Expert
Experience: Vast experience supporting and servicing Android smartphones and tablets.