Bryan, Customer Service
Experience:  Working with HTV Evo 4G, develop android applications for personal use,
59162784

how to make in home router connection

Customer Question

how to make in home router connection
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  fbox replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you today.

When you say "went through network procedure" you mean the process of setting up the router? Otherwise you have already setup the router for wifi and know what the broadcast(SSID) name is XXXXX XXXXX wireless signal and the password XXXXX connect to it..

How do you wish to connect to the router? Wifi or direct lan cable connection(ethernet cable).

Last what exactly is the operating system you are using. Windows xp, vista, 7, mac osx?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the router is a Westell Versalink model 327W
I wish to make a wirless connection, same as I do with my laptop.

When I went through the Nook sources for wifi, I got nowhere. When I would try to connect to any of them, I was unable to provide a valid password.

Expert:  fbox replied 2 years ago.
So you definately know the broadcast name and password XXXXX it that you use to connect with the laptop.

Here is the thing with the nooks it is a little different depending on the one you have. There wifi can only connect to certain types of networks using passwords that contain only certain characters.

Do you know how to change the wireless settings on your router? If not I can help you with that.

Also what is the exact model of your nook. Remember after you change the info on the router to work with your nook you will have to connect to the new broadcast ame on all your devices all over again.

Let me know thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Nook I have is BNRV300. I am not inclined to change the wireless settings on my router if I don't have to. If I could use one of the available networks shown on the Nook, I would like to do that but I can,t give a valid password XXXXX don't know how to obtain one. My other option would be to download material from B&N useing the computer if I could get past the wifi network setup.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer/Pearl. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you with this problem.

Can you tell me which operating system is on the laptop that is currently connected to your network through the WiFi connection?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My laptop is a Acer, Model A

Windows 7 Home Premium

Processor: Intel (R) Atom (TM) CPU 450

32 Bit Operating System

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. If you right-click on the network icon in the lower right corner of the screen (the system tray), select "Open network and sharing center", click "Manage Wireless Networks", then right click on your network, click the "Security" tab, click the "Show Characters" checkbox. Now, write down the "Security Type", "Encryption Type", and "Network Security Key". Don't write them here, just on paper somewhere. Or, if you have your Nook nearby, just leave that screen open. Then we move on to the Nook.

On the Nook, go to your Wireless Settings page. Does the Nook "see" your network in the listing? If it does not, stop here and tell me that your network can not be seen. Otherwise, continue on. Tap on the network name, if you are asked for a password, enter the "Network Security Key" from the Windows 7 screen. Now tap "Connect". If it does not connect, stop here and tell me that it cannot connect along with any error message you might see. Otherwise, you're all set and you should now be able to connect to the WiFi on your home router anytime you like.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The network does show on the nook but when input the network security key, I get the message that the password XXXXX XXXXX correct. I know that the password XXXXX XXXXX because I have had visitors use to access the router with their laptops.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, did you verify the password XXXXX the Windows 7 screen?

Leaving out all letters from your Network Security Key, tell me what the rest of the key is.

So let's say that it was w1yb3norm6l! you should reply with 136!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I viewed the password XXXXX windows 7 security screen. the password XXXXX no letters. It is my phone #

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have ( or - in it? Or is it strictly numbers?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I connected the Nook to the laptop and was able to proceed through the setup process. thank you. Bye

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Setup process? Do you mean that the laptop setup the wifi connection for you?
Bryan, Customer Service
Experience: Working with HTV Evo 4G, develop android applications for personal use,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Apparently so. There was a brief message of new software download & I now have Nook data on the laptop.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Very good! Glad to hear it. Take care. And be sure to ask for me if you need anything in the future.