Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
57442719

my Samsung Galaxy Note is not being recognized by my computer.

Customer Question

my Samsung Galaxy Note is not being recognized by my computer. I tried downloading a driver from the Samsung site. It still doesn't work. What should I do?
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  derrickonline replied 2 years ago.

I'd be more than happy to assist you. When you connect your Galaxy Note to your computer, look at the screen on your Note. It may be prompting you to choose between "Charge only" or "USB Disk". In this instance you'd want to select USB disk. Verbiage may very slightly but the general concept is the same.

If that still doesn't work, try a different USB port on your computer.

If that still doesn't work I would restart the computer and tablet.

If that still doesn't work, your last choice is more of a workaround but you could essentially download two pieces of software depending on which you prefer.

One is called Kies Air (not to be confused with just Kies). This a Samsung software you can get from the Google Play store, or it may be preloaded on your Note. This will turn your Note into a server. When run it will give you an IP address and tell you to launch this site from your browser. For example, Kies air on your tablet would say:

Go to: http://192.168.1.55 from your web browser.

You would then launch your computer's web browser and browse that site, then you have full access to your phone/tab, text messages, call log, photos, ability to download and transfer information, or upload direct to your note (documents, etc).

The key is both devices must be on the same WiFi network when you run Kies air for it to work.

Lastly, everyone's favorite and is a must have for anyone who hates hooking up a USB cable to transfer photos, documents, etc.

Dropbox. Dropbox is a Cloud based storage. You download Dropbox for your computer and it creates a new Drive called Dropbox. You just drop files there and it remains in sync with other devices running Dropbox. So you would install Dropbox app on your Note, then upload or download files between the two. Never needing a USB cable.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry, but this doesn't solve my problem

i already tried restarting and different USB ports

i need to be able to transfer information between devices when WiFi is not available

Bernard:

I'll open your question up to see if any other experts have an idea. Please standby.

I got to thinking about something. I'd like to check one more thing. What version of Windows are you running? XP, Vista, Win 7?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm using Windows 7

(the USB cable did work initially, but then stopped, when i open the Control Panel under devices it indicates that the device is not recognized)

Bill:

I'd like you to try something. I went ahead and did a quick video for you. I want to see if the device is connected but maybe doesn't have a drive letter assigned. This can happen when you connect a device that tries to use a drive letter already in use.

This video will show you how to assign a drive letter to the device. Let me know if this works or not.

http://www.screencast.com/t/hUi1CrJV

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for the suggestion but when i get to disk management

it doesn't show a slot for an online device (h:) like it does in your video

there is only Disk 0 basic online and CD-Rom

Then it's not showing up at all. In this case I'm out of suggestions. The only other option I'm pretty sure would work most likely would be a factory reset, but I'd rather save that for last as it will wipe your data which you most likely want to sync. I'll open your questions back up to other experts for now.

If you want, you could take me up on my other suggestion as means of backing up your photos, docs, etc then we could factory reset your device and that should fix the issue, your choice.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i would prefer to solve the problem without doing a factory reset

because there are a lot of pictures on it that will take forever to transfer without a USB connection

Bernard:

I totally understand. In that case I have to open your question back up to others as I'm out of options. If another expert sees your question and has an idea, they'll jump right in. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome,

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your Android issues.

Please go to Settings->Apps or Applications. What options do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do you mean settings on the android?

or on the computer?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

I mean on your phone. Go to Settings->Apps or Applications. What options do you see on the menu?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it has a long list :

unknown sources

manage applications

running services

storage

battery

devleopment

samsung apps

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

Please check the Development box. Connect your phone to computer. Please pull down the notification box. Do you see the USB options there?

If yes, please tap it and see if you can select Media or USB Mass Storage mode.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it has 2 functions:

USB debugging

Allow mock locations

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Please check USB debugging. Then connect your phone to computer and check for USB options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i checked it, connected to computer but the computer still does not see it

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

Please disconnect your phone from computer and do a quick reset on your phone.

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Applications-> Manage Applications-> All
  3. Select Media Storage
  4. Select Force Stop and Clear Data
  5. Go back to ALL and select Google Services Framework
  6. Select Clear Data.
  7. Turn your device off and back on.
  8. Connect your phone to computer. Make sure to use the Media or Mass Storage mode. See if your computer will recognize your phone.

Please let me know if this answer worked out for you. If it does not work, PLEASE DO NOT RATE YET! Reply to me by clicking on the Reply to Expert button so we can continue to resolve this issue. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if i do this, will it erase all the photos on the phone?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Did you download any photos? If yes, make sure they are on SD card. As long as they are on SD card or in the DCIM folder, they are fine.

If you did not download any photos, you can just go ahead and clear the Media Storage.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there are photos on the phone that i took with the camera on the phone that i have not been able to transfer to anywhere else

i don't have an SD card, the photos are stored on the 16 g memory that the phone comes with

transferring the photos to dropbox doesn't help because there is a quality loss when transferred that way

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

Please skip clear the Media Storage. Go ahead to clear Google Services Framework. Reboot your phone and test to see if your computer can recognize your phone.

You might want to reboot your computer as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i cleared data from Google Services

rebooted

but still doesn't recognise

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

I am out of ideas. Let me reopen your question to all experts for suggestions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks

Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for letting me know what is happening

if possible, i'd like to see if there is another professional who could help

if not then i guess we should cancel

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions and get your problem resolved ! Please Remember that when you are asked to rate my answer, you are rating My Service and not the site itself, or your frustration with your device.

First off, let me apologize that you haven't had a resolution yet. I have read through all the answers you were given, and it seems most of the steps that should be taken have been - however one major one was skipped.

Many times, after you have tried all the above, the issue is much simpler than you would think. The USB cord itself. You could either be using a defective cord, or you aren't using a USB cord that came with the device so it doesnt allow for the correct data transfer. I would recommend trying a different cord - if a new or different cord doesnt work then the issue is most likely corrupt drivers and I will assist you in uninstalling and reinstalling those.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your suggestions

it will take me a day or two to find someone who can lend me a different USB cord, but i'm betting against that being the problem because the cord does enable the phone to charge. Also, the computer does respond -- sometimes -- by saying there is an external device that it doesn't recognize

i'm also skeptical about it being the driver on the computer because i tried it on another computer (also Windows 7) and it wasn't recognized there either

that's why the line of reasoning leads to the phone as the source of the problem, but you are the expert, and i understand the need to check all possibilities

"it will take me a day or two to find someone who can lend me a different USB cord, but i'm betting against that being the problem because the cord does enable the phone to charge. Also, the computer does respond -- sometimes -- by saying there is an external device that it doesn't recognize"

I wish that statement had already been said before! If the phone is recognized sometimes as an external device then the issue is that you dont have the correct drivers installed. You need Kies (NOT KIES AIR) - which will install everything you need.

(P.S. some USB cords are charge only, and dont allow data transfer)

We just need to get you the correct software, which will also install the drivers for your device. Please go here, download Kies for Windows and install it. By installing it, it will install the needed drivers for your device, and allow it to sync.

After it installs, reboot your PC and Android, then connect Run Kies and connect your Android.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i installed kies and then connected to device

but got back message saying that the device is not supported by kies 2.0

The good news is that the PC is now recognizing the device. Tell me what it is you want to sync, and I will give you methods of doing it .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I want to be able to transfer photos and video in high quality back and forth between the two

by the way, the message indicated that all of the device driver software was successfully installed except for

Samsung Mobile USB RMNET Network

OK, then it failed. Lets try this from the beginning - by removing everything.

1. Download a free program called USBDeview from Cnet (click on the green "Download Now" button under the large USBDeview title)
  2. Run it, and remove/uninstall ALL Drivers listed that have the words "Samsung Android" or "Android" in first two columns.
  3. Reboot the PC
  4. On the Android now: open the Settings App, choose Development, Enable USB Debugging
  5. Now plug in the device to the PC and it should recognize it

If that doesnt work, you will need to follow these steps
  1. Uninstall Kies from your computer, completely
  2. Reboot the PC
  3. Download the newest version of Kies from here
  4. Install it and then reboot the PC again, before you plug the Android in
  5. After the PC reboots, open and run Kies
  6. Reboot the Android
  7. After it completely reboots, give it two minutes, plug the USB cord into the Android and then into a USB port you haven't used yet, or at a minimum a different one than last time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i did the above but still no luck

got the message that the device does not support kies 2.0

(do you think the problem is with the computer or the phone?)

Did you get my last reply?

I had asked (in case you didn't) if you have another PC you can test it on. There is no reason you should be getting that error at this point, so Id like to try and narrow down where the issue is coming from by having you try another PC.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it isn't recognized on another computer either

(reinstalling Kies didn't help)

trying it on another computer was one of the first things i did

the phone and the cable did originally work so what must have become corrupted is something in the phone

Go back into your settings (Developer Options) and disable USB Debugging, reboot the phone and try again.

There is either something very simple thats being missed, or the phone has hardware issues with the USB port.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the moment i connect it to the computer (after disabling USb debugging and rebooting) i get a message from the computer saying USB device not recognized (but it does charge the phone battery)

Ok, while its plugged in - enable USB Debugging and see what happens. Watch the phone as well to see if you get any options on the phone. Check your notification bar on the top of the phone to see if it tells you that you're plugged in and you can tap it to choose the mode.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when i tap usb debugging i get a messag

usb is connected. remove the cable

Ok, so remove it, enable debugging, plug it back in and watch for any messages on the PC and the phone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

mtp connected

development

the 2 messages above appeared on the phone

nothing on the pc

Ok, I can honestly say now that we have literally done everything possible to try and get it to connect - and you couldn't even connect it on a separate PC.

That leads us to concluding its a phone issue. Now its whether its hardware or software, if its hardware you can contact your carrier and get a replacement device sent to you immediately. You can find out, by resetting the phone to factory conditions. If after a reset you can connect to the PC - then it was just corrupt data in the phone. If you cannot connect after a reset, then you need to get the phone replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do i do a phone reset?

(i am using the phone after having it unlocked for use outside Canada where I bought it, will it become locked if it is reset?)

Your phone should not become locked again. However, you may have to have your settings re-done to work with your carrier (if you had to manually set them the first time). If you were able to simply put in your new SIM card and it worked, then it will again.

I cannot promise though, as we are talking about software here - and any small error could occur and cause an unexpected outcome. However, with that being said a reset should not lock the phone again - if there are no issues.

Open the Settings App, choose Backup & Reset. If "back up my data" was not enabled, then enable it and give it about 30 minutes to backup what it can (contacts, calendar, etc.). Then, go back into that section and choose to factory data reset the phone. Make sure you sign back into the phone with the same Google Account you see listed there, so your data that is backed up can be restored.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i go to settings

but i don't see anything called backup and reset

In your Settings, scroll to the bottom and tap on the About section and tell me your Android Version.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

model sgh-1717m

android version 2.3.6

baseband

1717mugla2

kernel

2.6.35.11

build

gingerbread.195

Ahhh thats why, your Note has 2.3.6 (it didn't update yet to 4.0).

In that case, ignore what I said about the backup and restore and instead open the Settings, choose Privacy, and then choose to reset the phone. You wont be able to backup the way it does in 4.0 - however much of your data should be backed up to your Google account and will resync as long as it was.
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience: Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team