Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
57442719

I just purchased a ZTE990 smart phone from StrightTalk. Great

I just purchased a ZTE990 smart phone from StrightTalk. Great system for a good non-contract price. I have a couple of questions though. First, I have a widget on one of my creens that is a horizontal bar with several icons and start/stop, on/off switches. The first 2 icons are easy - wifi and bluetooth. The last one also - screen brightness. The other two have me stumped. One looks like a speaker, one looks like a refresh icon. Can you tell me what they are?

Secondly, I have set up my personal email account (POP3) but the phone continually says that it cannot synchronize incoming or outgoing with the server. All passwords, account names, etc are correct. My incoming POP3 server is set to mail.comcast.net on port 110 with no security. My outgoing SMTP server is set to smtp.comcast.net on port 25 with no security.

Please help!

Thanks - Steve
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions and get your problem resolved ! Please Remember that when you are asked to rate my answer, you are rating My Service and not the site itself, or your frustration with your device.

As far as the first question goes, instead of telling you - I made a diagram that shows you what each icon is. Your widget may look a little different, but the icons should be the same and will mean the same thing.

graphic

Now, as far as your email. The issue is actually more than likely the way your email server/provider is communicating with the stock email app. There are hundreds of email servers and exchange servers that are not up to date (even companies like AOL, and Hotmail) and wont work well with Androids newer standards. However, there is a simple solution.

What you can do is download one of two free email apps from the Market. Install either MailDroid or K9 Mail from the Android Market and use them (there is a paid version of MailDroid, but you do not need to get it, the free one will suffice).

Add your email account straight through one of those app, and i am willing to bet that as long as you have the correct email server settings, it will work on the first try.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...

Please remember I am only credited for my answer if you rate me with "Ok Service" or higher. You are rating My Service - not this website or the quality of your device. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile, please use the blue continue the conversation link instead - and tell me what else I can do for you to improve my rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Eric,

I just downloaded MailDroid and attempted both an automatic setup (which failed) and a manual setup (also failed). Error message states "settings or password XXXXX". Settings are as described in my first text. Password XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I loaded K9 Mail. Incoming now works OK but I still cannot get outgoing to sync to the SMTP server.
Ok, make sure you are using these settings:

First off, make sure you choose the account to be a POP3 account, not IMAP. incoming should be mail.comcast.net port 995, and outgoing smtp.comcast.net port 465 (or 587 but with 587 you need to enable authentication/TLS).

Also, just in case you didn't know. You can install the free Xfinity app and it has your Email built right into it - it even notifies you like normal email apps (plus you can control your DVR, On demand, etc.)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help Eric - now works great!
Glad I could help

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
.