Nick H.
Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience:  Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop
63271161

I have an Acer A100 Ionia tablet. For some reason, the touch

Customer Question

I have an Acer A100 Ionia tablet. For some reason, the touch screen will not respond, thus I can swipe it to unlock it. I have restarted several times.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome,

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your Android issues.

You should try to do a hard reset. Note: This process will wipe data (contacts, music, photos, apps) out on the phone. Please back up your data to SD card or computer. Then you can proceed with these steps below.

1. Use the Lock screen to On
  2. Shutdown your tablet by holding the Power button.
  3. Press and HOLD Volume Up (+) button.
  4. Press the Power button. Release Power button when the tablet vibrates. Still holding Volume Up button.
  5. Use the Lock Screen switch.
  6. Your tablet will take about 3-5 minutes to reset.
  7. After reset, test to see if your tablet's touch screen is working properly.

Please click on the link below for a video reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwyGSwmzVtM

Please let me know if this method worked out or not. If not, please DO NOT RATE MY ANSWER. Reply to me by clicking on the Reply to Expert button. Thank you!

IMPORTANT: PLEASE ONLY RATE MY ANSWER WHEN YOU ARE DONE OR 100% SATISFIED. And remember that YOU ARE RATING MY HELP/SERVICE and not site-issues or the outcome of this question. If my answer worked, please rate 3 or more rating so I can get credit.

If you have any questions or concerns, DO NOT RATE YET! Please reply to me by click on the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE THIS CONVERSATION button. You will be able to work with me and resolve your issue.

Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been avoiding a hard reset because none of the blogs said that this would work. I am willing to do, but I pretty sure it will not resolve the issue. Do you want me to proceed, or do you have additional ideas before the reset?
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Rod,

A hard reset will help us determine if your issue is a hardware or software issue.

Please reset your tablet and test it. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so I am trying the hard reset. I get to the point where I am to "select" factory reset from a list of 5 option. Threre no was to actually select it. Is that what the screen lock button does. See photo.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Rod.

You can use Volume Up and Down buttons to scrolls. Use Power button to select.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. standby. it appears to go completely off. I would have assumed the blue power button would stay on. I will wait 3 to 5 minutes and let you know.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Rod,

Were you be able to reset your tablet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no. if i hold the power button, nothing happens. If I hold it 3 to 5 seconds, the unit turns off.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Rod,

Did you see the video?

Please do the steps again:

1. Use the Lock screen to On
  3. Press and HOLD Volume Up (+) button.
  5. Use the Lock Screen switch.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Rod,

You can try to use the Home (big button in front) to select.

If that does not work, there is a RESET button on the side of your tablet. use a small pin and press and HOLD it until your tablet resets. Test your touch screen.

When and where did you buy your tablet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Big home button swaps between android symbol and the 5 options. Lock button works to lock screen, but nothing else. Volume allows me to move between the 5 options. You know about the power button. I purchased it in June from Buy.com. It outside of the refund period, but inside the manufacture warranty. It just that I am traveling for work and need it working now. I will try the needle reset. Standby.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The needle reset works, but just as a soft reset, not a reset to factory settings. Nick, I am open to other ideas, but I think we have exhausted our options ... what do you think?
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Rod,

After you unlocked the screen, can you go into Settings?

If yes, please do a factory reset as follow:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Privacy
  3. Select Factory data reset
  4. Select Reset tablet
  5. Select Erase everything
  6. Your tablet will reset which will take about 3-5 minutes. Set it up again and test your touch screen issue.

If that does not work, please do these steps again:

1. Use the Lock screen to On
  3. Press and HOLD Volume Up (+) button.
  5. Select wipe data / factory reset. Use either Power, Home or Menu button to select. These are standard keys for Android tablets and phones.
  6. Select delete all user data.
  7. Your tablet will take about 3-5 minutes to reset.
  8. After reset, test to see if your tablet's touch screen is working properly.

Please let me know if any of these methods worked out or not. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, Nick. To your first question, no, I can´t get passed the locked home screen (this was the original problem). When I slip it, nothing happens or it gets caught-up as there are multiple fingers touching. It stay locked and goes to standby.

With the manual reset, I get to step 6 and cannot move forward. There does not seem to be a way to actually "select" the delete data option. I can see it, I can highlight it, but I can't select it.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Rod,

Unfortunately, this seems like a hardware issue. Please call Acer support to arrange for a send-in repair or replacement.

Acer tablet support:
866-695-2237

I had helped many customers and some of them had to call Acer for repair or replacement.

Please call them and let me know how it goes. Thank you!
Nick H., Android Specialist
Experience: Sr. Android Expert, Phone Tablet Repair Shop
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
After we spoke and I rated him. I we to the internet and found different and better instructions on a blog and they worked the first time. The instructions and youtube video I got were incaccurate.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Rod.

What were the steps that you took to reset your tablet?

And after the reset, did your touch screen work normally?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://www.acertabletforum.com/forum/rescue-squad-guides/5168-how-perform-factory-reset.html

Step-by-step instruction are correct.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Rod!

Glad your tablet is working again.

Have a great day!