Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist

Hi my galaxy s2 keeps freezing and all programs and apps randomly

Hi my galaxy s2 keeps freezing and all programs and apps randomly open and then have to be forced closed. any idea...
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

How did you reboot the phone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pressed home power and volume up and selected reboot.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I want to restart the phone please.

The way to properly do this is to do the following.

Go to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications.

Choose All so that all the installed applications are listed.

Look for Google Services Framework and press on this.

Press Clear Data.

When it has completed, remove the battery and wait 5 minutes for the phone to discharge.

Put the battery back in and start the phone and use it.

Check if you are still having the problem and if you are, please let me know Before Rating My Service.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not worked.
TWlauncher seems to be the main one that keeps stopping and the only way i can navigate the menus is by force closeing that in the apps menu.
I have to keep closeing the sorry messages and tapping the menu button quick just to get to settings..
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Matthew

When it gets to this stage, the only solution is going to be a Factory Reset sorry.

It is going to wipe the data from your phone and return it to new, but there is no way to avoid this.

I will give you three procedures for the reset in case the phone is stopping you from completing one of them.

1. On the main home screen, just select MENU
2. Select SETTINGS, then select PRIVACY
3. Select FACTORY DATA RESET
4. Select RESET PHONE
5. If the password XXXXX XXXXX it. Then confirm by selecting ERASE EVERYTHING

If you can not get to these options, Try to turn it off first and do a hard reset through key combinations.

1. If your Samsung Galaxy S II is frozen, Shut the POWER OFF, take the battery out and put it back again.
2. Hold the Volume Down button
3. Briefly Press and release the Power button
4. A menu will then appears that let you allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
6. Quickly Press and release the Power button
7. Select Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

If the above procedures doesn't work. try this another method:

1. Turn the POWER OFF, pull the battery out and put it back again.
2. Simultaneously press the Volume Up, Home and Power button
3. If the Samsung Symbol appears, release the Power button
4. A Boot Menu will then show, Use the volume up/down to choose and home to select.

Once it is resetted it will resolve the problem for you.

If you have any difficulties, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there definitely no way we can get files off? we have some really special videos on it that we really don't want to just wipe. any ideas would be really appreciated.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Are the Files on the Phone or the micro SD Card Matthew?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
unfortunately I don't think there is a micro sd card.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, we can try this Matthew

Connect the phone to the computer with the USB cable.

The phone should ask the connection type to use (Charge or Disk Drive)

Choose Disk Drive.

Windows should than load it as a drive. This is like C or D drive.

Once it does this, you can go to Start, Computer and choose the drive.

you can than copy your files to the computer.

Let me know please if you have any difficulties doing this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
unfortunately we've tried this and the computer doesn't pick it up at all. the phone sometimes says something along the lines of "you can only connect when the phone is idle. please close all running apps" but we have no way of making it go to idle.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, than it wont be possible sorry Matthew.

The process is in a perpetual loop and we cannot close it off.

I am really sorry but you need to do the Factory Reset

You did say you didn't "think" there is an SD Card in there, but if there is your files are ok.

you will only know this after the reset sorry.
Richard, Android Specialist
Experience: Android Systems Specialist