Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I had a pattern lock on my phone but forgot it. I tried too

I had a pattern lock on my phone (Samsung galaxy) but forgot it. I tried too many times and have been locked out. its asking for my gmail username and password XXXXX I also forgot, so I had it reset. now when I put my username and password XXXXX its not unlocking the phone. its saying username or password XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Can I ask that you log into www.gmail.com and test if you can log in there ok.

It may have locked your account, and when you log in via the web, it will run you through the process to unlock it. If it is locked and you unlock it this way, it will then allow you to log in via the phone.

If you can please let me know how this goes, that would be very appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have logged in on my laptop several times. this is not the problem
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for confirming.

Another issue is that the phone can put a space after the email address and / or password XXXXX you switch boxes.

Even though we don' see this, it treats it as a character, causing it to be misread.

When you have exited the box eg: moved to the password XXXXX can you press to the very right of the email address and delete any blank spaces.

Do the same for the password XXXXX You will see the blank space as the cursor wont be flush against the email address / password.

If this is not the case, can you go to settings, Applications, All Applications. Press All so that you are viewing all applications.

Go to Google Services Framework and press on this.

Then press clear data.

Once done, remove the battery from the phone. Put it back in so it does a complete restart, then try.

If you are still having problems, please let me know before rating my service.

Thank You.
Richard, Android Specialist
Experience: Android Systems Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still not working. its like when I put in my details and press sign in, its not even checking or loading the details? Its just clearing them??
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
you are sure you have internet on the device?

Are you able to open a web page from it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well i cant do anything on it at the moment because the screen is locked! But yes, it was able to open web pages

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, when you reset it, how did you do this? It would always remove the password.

Did it return to how it was when you first received it (brand new)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only reset my gmail password- because that's what's its requesting because there were too many attempts at the pattern code. and I reset this by logging into gmail on my laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

We need to do a proper reset

Can you tell me which galaxy model the phone is and I will provide the instructions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just Samsung Galaxy S
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

We need to do a proper reset. The downside is it is going to wipe all your data and return the phone to new, but there is no other way to get past this security.

To do this, do the following please

Turn the power off. If your Samsung Galaxy S is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
Hold the Volume Down button
Press and release the Power button
You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
Press and release the Power button
Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO
If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the Samsung Galaxy S. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state and the pattern lock will be removed.

If you have any difficulties, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its just turning the phone on and off?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then it is the wrong procedure

There are a number of Galaxy S models.

Can you give me the model number please? If will be inside the battery compartment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
gt- 19000t
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, that helps!

Do the following please

Shut down your phone, then hold your " on/off button" + "volume up" + "home button". Once you did that you should be in recovery mode, there choose factory reset.

If it still restarts, do this please

Power off your device.

Hold the Volume Down button and press and release the Power button.

A window with some option will be displayed on the screen. You can use the Volume Up/Down buttons to scroll between these options. The following options are present to you on the screen: Fastboot, Recovery, Clear Storage and Simlock.

You need to select the Clear Storage option and then click and release the Power button again. The last step of the process is simply confirming your selection, press Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO.

Once the clearing operation is complete, the smartphone will reboot fresh, as it was shipped from the factory with the password removed.

Let me know if you still have difficulties please Kylie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I chose wipe data/factory reset and when turning the phone back on, the screen is still locked!!!! still couldn't do the volume down and power button one though? But the volume up, power and home button one worked
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Is the phone like new after the factory reset?

Are you sure this is not a SIM Lock and not the screen lock?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no its a screen lock because I've taken the sim out an put it in another phone. but I've tried the username and password with and without the sim in. I honestly don't kno what else to do!!!
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you are resetting it and it still doesnt release the lock, then there is a hardware issue with the phone.

The phone will always remove the lock on a factory reset.

Sorry but my only advise will be to take it into the Shop and have them replace it.