Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

How do I change the APN on my Samsung Gravity phone? I bought

How do I change the APN on my Samsung Gravity phone? I bought the phone as a customer of t-mobile and like the phone but no longer have the service provider. Now I have a new sim card from Net10. Net10 instructions include change the APN. Cannot find where that could be done on this phone.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

RichieMe :

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

RichieMe :

Please do the following

RichieMe :

1. Touch Menu.
2. Touch Settings.
3. Touch Wireless and network.
4. Scroll to and touch Mobile networks.
5. Touch Access Point Names.
6. Touch the required APN.
7. The APN settings will be displayed

RichieMe :

If you have any difficulties, please let me know

RichieMe :

and please remember to click Accept and take care

Customer:
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, your last message did not appear

Can you repeat it please?
Richard, Android Specialist
Experience: Android Systems Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not have a touch screen.

I checked the options under the settings menu which are sound, display, phone, bluetooth, call settings and software update. under call settings there is an option called network selection but I cannot open it...

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
can you tell me the model number of the phone please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
model sgh-t459
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX this

From the standby screen, press the left soft key for Menu
Select Browser
Select Browser Settings
Select Profile
Select Profile Settings
Highlight the select the profile you want to edit

Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much - I got as far as browser settings than I can

clear cache, cookies, preferences, certificates, about browser

ALSO - I HAVE TO LEAVE SOON FOR AN APPT. CAN WE CONTINUE ANOTHER TIME? OR, ANSWER BASED ON MY RESPONSE ABOVE AND I WILL GET HOME TO VIEW YOUR SUGGESTIONS. Thanks again, Janet

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Choose Preferences please Janet

No problem to reply when you are able to
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again!

Your suggestions thus far have not led to the result we are looking for. In the meantime I found the codes for unlocking my Samsung Gravity phone. Altho the phone is unlocked it is somehow still a t-mobile phone menu-wise.

I learned another word "tethering" as in, my phone is "tethered" to t-mobile. Could there be a less-than-obvious code (similar, for instance, to the codes I used to unlock my phone)?

Do you think that I need to find someone who can "untether" my phone from t-mobile?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If your phone is still tethered it will mean the phone is still locked to the t-mobile network.

How do you know it is unlocked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First of all, I entered #7465625# and get the message that Network Lock is inactive.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, so where is the lock message coming from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is part of a list of items also inactive:

subset lock, SP lock, CP lock, SIM lock, Activa lock, auto network lock, auto subset lock, auto SP lock, auto CP lock, auto SIM lock, phone lock

Sure seems to mean that the phone is unlocked, doesn't it?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, but did you enter in the APN details?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, there does not seem to be a place to do that - any suggestions?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then try this please (this phone is very difficulties to get to these settings as they try to hide it)

Enter *#87927#
Highlight Profile 2
Select Options
Select Edit

Then enter in the values

Let me know how it goes please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing was there on my end. I really, really, appreciate your help but we need to stop for a while.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Its no problem, but when you say nothing was there, you mean No APN's?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I mean that there is no place in the menu to find the current APN nor to enter the new APN.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Did anything happen when you dialed *#87927# ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You won't believe this (or maybe you can believe) I did something that resulted in locking my current SIM card. I am working with the service provider to (hopefully) get it reactivated.

The code you just provided is not one I have tried (according to my copius notes, anyway). I will respond to your question about the code when I am a phone user once more.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HELLO! Just want you to know that I emailed a great rating for you today. The rating process is obscure in that there is no way to rate the expert on the same page as the rate request. I hope you get the credit I sent today.