Richard, Android Specialist
Experience:  Android Systems Specialist
32989067

I have WiFi connection on my Kindle Fire but no internet connection

Customer Question

I have WiFi connection on my Kindle Fire but no internet connection and error message when I type in different urls is that web page is not available. I have internet connection on my PC. I have tried shutting everything down, restarting, removing and reinserting connections on router and modem but no luck. Battery is charged.
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

RichieMe :

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

RichieMe :

To check, have you disconnected the power from the wifi router, waited 5 minutes, reconnected, waited 3 minutes for the router to start, then test?

RichieMe :

If not, can you please do this and let me know if you still have the problem

Customer :

Hi. Followed your instructions but still no internet connection on Kindle Fire.

RichieMe :

ok, please do the following

RichieMe :
  1. Tap the Quick Settings icon in the top right hand corner of the Home screen.
  2. Select Wi-Fi.
  3. Ensure Wireless Networking switch is in the on position.

RichieMe :

If it is, look for your wireless network in the list, and press on it to connect

RichieMe :

let me know if you get an error when connecting to it please

Customer :

Wireless networking switch is on. Wireless network is connected , open, and has excellent signal strength.

RichieMe :

Can you then do the following please

RichieMe :

go to web browser and go to menu.

Now go to setting there you will find a small list,

Select Clear Cache, Confirm this

RichieMe :

when it has completed, close the web browser, reopen and test

RichieMe :

please let me know if you continue to have the problem

Customer :

Can't get to a web browser on the Kindle - get error message that web page not available when I type in the url.

RichieMe :

ok, then we will need to reload the operating system

Customer :

Ok.

RichieMe :

This will require a factory reset, but it is nessesary. You will be able top redownload all purchase programs after doing this

RichieMe :

to do this, please do the following

RichieMe :

Press gear->more->device->reset

Where the 'gear' is in the upper right hand corner of the screen. It takes you into settings.

RichieMe :

Once it resets the Kindle will be the way it was when you first recieved it

RichieMe :

you will need to connect to the wireless again

RichieMe :

and reinstall any Apps that you had

RichieMe :

but it will resolve this issue

Customer :

Will you be able to guide me through the wireless reconnection and apps installations?

RichieMe :

yes,

Customer :

Will you be able to do that as soon as I reset the device?

RichieMe :

yes, though it guides you to do this

RichieMe :

I will be on standby if it gets confusing

Customer :

Okay. Someone else set the wireless connection and installed the apps for me when I received the gift. Just want to be sure I can recoup what was there. Thank you.

RichieMe :

ok, the apps, you will need to find

RichieMe :

as it depends on which apps you had installed, though you just need to search for these on the app store

RichieMe :

wireless I can help with

Customer :

Just a little hesitant as I have address book and Amazon account, games in progress, etc. that I am not too sure how to install.

RichieMe :

I understand, the problem is that we need to do this to resolve the issue

RichieMe :

and idea may be to wait till your friend is around

Customer :

Okay. So I just select Erase everything, right?

RichieMe :

then run the reset and have him / her reinstall the games they put on for you?

Customer :

Friend not available so guess I need to go ahead and then try to learn how to reinstall items myself.

RichieMe :

ok, i will get you onto the wireless though

RichieMe :

let me know when you have done the commands to reset please

Customer :

Alright. Hesitantly selecting Erase everything.

Customer :

Welcome screen is open.

Customer :

Reset complete. Now at Welcome Screen.

RichieMe :

ok, follow this through please

RichieMe :

let me know if you get stuck

Customer :

Are you saying I should go ahead and proceed through the screens now and just email you if I get stuck?

Customer :

One connection is strong, but another connection that I used to have, called Vail, is no longer appearing as a wireless connection option.

RichieMe :

ok, connect to the strong connection

RichieMe :

ill wait here till we confirm Internet is working

Customer :

Selected strong WifFi connection, selected time zone and now getting message that there is a Network Error and Kindle cannot connect to the Internet.

RichieMe :

did you get asked for your password?

RichieMe :

for Wifi?

Customer :

No. Current page shows Options of Connect to WiFE and Register, but won't allow me to enter Amazon Account Info. Does search for registration status and then shows Network Error message.

Customer :

Should I just select Register Later rather than Wi-Fi setup?

RichieMe :

Register Later as you first need to connect to your wifi

RichieMe :

Did you see your wifi network appear in the list of networks?

Customer :

Alright. Did see my wifi network in list. Now at page referring to navigation bar so will proceed.

RichieMe :

how is it proceeding?

Customer :

Tried loading www.mozillafirefox.com and Yahoo.com but get error message that web page not available.

RichieMe :

ok, and it definetly resetted correct?

RichieMe :

and you are connected to the wireless?

Customer :

I believe so. Wireless icon shows up but there is x under it which I understood to mean there is no internet connection.

RichieMe :

ok, and when you go to The settings Icon, then Select Wifi, you see you are connected?

Customer :

Yes., Wireless Network set at On. Wireless connection shows as Connected withexcellent signal strength.

RichieMe :

ok, we have reset the router and the Kindle and removed all possibilitis of this being a fault

RichieMe :

the issue will lie within the Kindle

RichieMe :

The process we did resolves this issue but it is much more serious then this

RichieMe :

I am really sorry but you will need to take it back to where you purchased it

RichieMe :

and have it replaced, as there are no more steps that can be done. It is something that is wrong internally with the device. Reloading it would have fixed this

RichieMe :

I can understand this is not the best situation

RichieMe :

but if you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to let me know

Customer :

Is there any way to retrieve - go back to what I had before I did the factory reset? Do you think I need to check if I have a router problem?

RichieMe :

no, we rules out the router during the reset

RichieMe :

all your games and books and everything are still available for download

RichieMe :

once you have a working Kindle

RichieMe :

It is linked to your Amazon account and not your actual device

RichieMe :

I am really sorry that this is the end result, but all other possible causes have been ruled out

RichieMe :

Feel free to let me know if you require any additional information please

Customer :

I have never used this type of service. Since the problem is not fixed, do I still need to pay? I'm not being rude or cheap, just unsure of how this works. I'm thinking to try my Kindle Fire someplace outside my home where there is WiFi and see if it works there because I am thinking the problem may be a computer problem.

RichieMe :

no, you only need to click Accept if you are satisfied

Customer :

Thank you. I appreciate your assistance earlier this evening. Do I just close out for the time being to end this request and then sign in again if another need arises?

RichieMe :

It is up to yes, you can do that, just let meknow if you need more assistance please

Customer :

Thank you. I will do that.

RichieMe :

your very welcome

Customer :

Hi again.

Customer :

I haven't accepted the answer because the problem was not solved by the steps we took. Perhaps I misunderstood but I thought I was supposed to just close out and consider my problem unsolved. Lynne

RichieMe :

Not at all Lynne, you Accept when you are satisfied