Answers by Eric
Answers by Eric, Developer
Experience:  Award winning Android Developer & part of the Cyanogen Development Team
57442719

Hello, I have a samsung galaxy ace and tried to update the

Customer Question

Hello, I have a samsung galaxy ace and tried to update the phone. After that i got the message 'android system recovery 3e ' I tried to check the SD card in my computer but the SD card broke down. Now i have a new sd card but the phone can't get further than 'ANDROID'. I can get in the menu but i dont know where i cant find the right software to put on the sd card voor a system reboot or other options.
What can i do to let the phone work again?
With kind regards
Remi
Category: Android Devices
Expert:  Answers by Eric replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions and get your problem resolved!

Please tell me if following these steps, can you get into the Recovery Menu?

1. Remove the battery.
  2. Replace the battery but do not power the device on.
  3. Hold down the Menu button then press the Power button. (Make sure you press Menu first or it will boot normal).
  4. Hold both buttons until your phone boots into Recovery

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Eric, yes i can get into Recovery. 5 options (reboot..., apply..., wipe data/..., wipe cache...test...) In the bottom of the screen:
-- Appling Muti-CSC --
E:failed to mount /system (Invalid argument)

Greetz Remi

Remi did you not get my last message?

Here's a copy of what I posted last night:

Try this first:

1. Remove the battery.
  5. Choose Wipe Cache Partition
  6. When it finishes, choose reboot system now

If that doesnt work we will need to do a complete reset of the device.

1. Remove the battery.
  5. Choose Wipe Data/factory reset

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Eric,
I didn't rececieved your message.
I tried borh options but the phone still doesn't work.

After entering the recovery menu the message of the system in the bottom of the screen says:
-- Appling Muti-CSC --
E: failed to mount /system (Invalid argument)

After the 'Wipe Cache Partition' option the system says (in yellow):
-- Wiping cache...
Formatting /cache...
E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/stl14
Cache wipe complete

After 'reboot system now'
At first Samsung http://www.samsung.com/ appears following by a screen with the model of the phone.
After that i (still) get the black screen saying ANDROID.
The lights of both buttons near the menu button are on.

-- Appling Muti-CSC --

After the 'Wipe data/factory reset' option i got a screen to confirm it.
There are 7 'No' options, 1 'Yes' option and 3 'No' options.
After choosing 'yes' the system says (in yellow):

-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/stl13

Formatting /cache...
Data wipe complete

After 'reboot system now'

Ok, then I am afraid the device has a an issue preventing it from booting into the Recovery mode or allowing the recovery image to work, which is basically the devices last chance of resolving any issues on its own. When this happens the only option is to re-flash the devices firmware and you have a couple choices of how to do this.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...

Please press the Accept Button(or the Smiley Face if prompted ) if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Pressing Accept does not cost you any more, and only by you pressing accept am I compensated. Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Eric, I assume that it's like flashing the bios of a PC. I've done that before and i know i have to do this very carefully. Step by step and keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well. I'll give it a try.

Ok, then I will need the exact model number from on the phone under the battery. That way I can make sure I give you the exact firmware for your model.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Eric,
It's a Samsung Galaxy Ace
Model number: GT-S5830
SSN:-S5830GSMH

OK, its going to take some time (up to 24 hours) for me to download and authenticate the firmware, package it, and upload it to share with you. This process could be cut to about 2 hours but I refuse to send you a firmware that I have not tested and scanned to make sure its 100% original and not tampered with (malicious code inserted)... so please bear with me while I make sure what I give you is trust-worthy .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Eric,
No problem at all!
Thanks so far.

Thanks for being patient, hope to have it up for you tonight but by tomorrow-noonish I will be done for sure.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's 6 hours later in the Netherlands. I'll go to bed soon so there is no rush at all.
Tomorrow-noonish (for you) is perfect. I won't be behind my pc before then.

I have finished scanning the main package this morning, and will be done and have it uploaded for you right around the expected time (noon) give or take an hour Smile.

Ok, this should do it for you. If not, we can move on and try something else Laughing.

Here are the four things you need to download (click on the "download original" button on the pages):

1. Odin Multi Uploader
  2. Cooper OPS file
  3. Samsung Drivers (You only need these if you dont have Kies installed. If you never installed Samsung Kies, then install these drivers)
  4. The Firmware Package

Ok, once you download all those, follow these steps:

1. Unplug your phone from the PC
  2. Install the Samsung Drivers and reboot your PC
  3. Extract the Firmware Package zip file and place the two files directly on your desktop
  4. Run the Odin program
  5. Put your phone in Download Mode and connect it to the PC
  6. Put a checkmark on the One Package, Auto Reboot, and Protect OPS options.
  7. Click on the OPS Button, and load the Cooper OPS file you downloaded
  8. On the bottom of Odin, click on the One Package button.
  9. Choose the long named file (S5830DDQ8_ etc.) from your desktop that you unzipped from the firmware package file
  10. Press the Start button on Odin
  11. Wait about 5-10 minutes, until Odin says "Pass!" at the top. You can then disconnect your phone and if it doesnt reboot on its own, turn it on.

Very Important: As soon as your phone loads, do a factory reset. Go into the Settings App, choose Privacy, and then reset the phone. This will complete the process and your phone will be back to an "out of the box" condition.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Eric,
Thank you very much.
I downloaded the files and i'm ready to start.
Before the i have 2 questions just to be sure.

about 5. How do i put the phone in download mode?
The other question is about 'Very Important'. You say As soon as my phone loads do a factory reset. I assume that this is the moment that the battery shows in the display and then i have to press the menu button and the powerbutton at the same time. Then i have to choose the factory reset option. Is this right?

My apologies for not including the Download Mode instructions. For your Ace, here is how you do it:

1. Remove the Battery from the phone
  2. Plug the USB cable that came with it, into the PC but not the phone
  3. Press in and hold the Middle Button (OK button, on the phone), the Volume Down button, and the Power button
  4. While holding those in, plug the USB cable into the phone and it will enter Download Mode

The second part. No, you can let the phone load and boot up as normal, but after it boots up... do whatever you have to do to get through the initial setup and then open the Settings App and do a factory reset of the device. That will finalize the firmware flash.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't know if you received my reply so i type it again.

Thanks Eric.
I'll try it tomorrow. It's 1.30 am and i'll try te get some sleep.
I'll let you know the result.
Greetz Remi

Ok great, good luck with it!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Eric,
My phone is working again.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!

Great job.

Greetz Remi

No problem Remi, I am glad I was able to help!!